Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#102710 by drchipster
Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm
What's the power consumption (wattage) of the telo and linx devices? I need to figure out how big an UPS I need to power my router/modem/telo/linx for 3-4 hours in case of a power outage. Any recommendation for a good UPS?
#102714 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:09 am
drchipster wrote:What's the power consumption (wattage) of the telo and linx devices? I need to figure out how big an UPS I need to power my router/modem/telo/linx for 3-4 hours in case of a power outage. Any recommendation for a good UPS?

A rough way to come up with this number is to:
Look at the adapter plugs for the Ooma Telo and the Ooma Linx for output volts and amperes.
Multiply the volts times amperes to get watts for both the Ooma Telo and Ooma Linx. Then add the two watts results together. Add a few watts for "start load cushion", and there you have it.
#102725 by southsound
Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 am
Just a caution based on personal experience... Make sure that the source of your Internet is also backed up by the provider. We are in a rural area that only has one source - CenturyLink DSL. We also keep a basic phone line through them. In the event of a power failure, the landline works just fine but the DSL is dead. I believe that they are required by law to provide the phone service in the event of power failure so the equipment that serves our voice line is in a cabinet with batteries that last about 10 hours and has a connector so the telco can plug in a generator should the failure last longer. Sitting right next to that cabinet is the RTE that supplies the data. In a power failure it is dead as a door nail. I'm not sure what cable companies are required to do so YMMV. We keep the landline just so we have communication since our cell service is splotchy.