Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#102165 by redkatiej
Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 pm
I have been advised by the Ooma support line staff that my landline number is not portable at this time. Does that mean the temporary number becomes permanent? Is there any steps that I need to take to make this happen? I live in a major urban area, so should I wait a few weeks to see if my number becomes portable or should I just proceed with disconnecting my landline?

Apologies if this is a repeat question, but I've been trolling through the forums for a good number of hours over the last few days and didn't find anything. Every topic I found related to dealing with the temporary number after successfully porting a former landline number.
#102182 by lbmofo
Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:43 pm
You don't have to do anything to keep your Ooma assigned number.
If I were you, and if I want to keep my landline number, I'd port it to TMobile prepaid. Then if I don't want to keep my TMobile prepaid account, I'd port it to Google Voice.
#102905 by redkatiej
Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:18 pm
Alas, I'm in Canada (no T-Mobile and Google Voice is only available in the US). I guess it will be farewell to my old number which I was somewhat fond of, but the new Ooma number is growing on me.
#102911 by tbeltz
Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:32 am
redkatiej wrote:Alas, I'm in Canada (no T-Mobile and Google Voice is only available in the US). I guess it will be farewell to my old number which I was somewhat fond of, but the new Ooma number is growing on me.

You may want to try and go through with the porting process through Ooma if you have not done so. When I moved over I was "told" my number was not portable also but found out after I had disconnected it that I could have ported it. To late to try once you have disconnected it so I would make sure by simply going through the on-line prosess??
#102942 by redkatiej
Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm
I have tried Ooma's help line to see about porting my current number after checking on Ooma's website - both said it's not available for porting at this time. Weird, considering I'm in Ottawa, and not rural either.

Good to know about parking - I'll look into that as an option.

Appreciate the help - thanks!