Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101782 by thunderbird
Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 am
Calling with your Ooma Telo and the Ooma Linx, with a regular phone connected to the Ooma Linx phone port. See: http://d2262e9e145d3008ca92-b7b31c454ba ... -06-20.pdf for installation Instructions.

Ooma says that the you can locate your Ooma Linx up to 50 meters (about 164 feet) away from your Ooma Telo, and still receive good Wireless DECT reception.

Must have Ooma Premier:

There is a multitude of things you can do with the Linx registered (connected) to the Ooma Telo in place of the forth HD2 handset, or just registered (connected) to the Ooma Telo alone without any HD2 handsets, or add 1, 2, or 3, three HD2 handsets and 1 Linx device.

You can answer an inbound call with the Linx connected phone.
You can make an outbound call with the Linx connected phone.
If someone is calling in on the second Omma Telo assigned phone number, while someone else is taking using the first Ooma Telo assigned phone number, you can answer that call using the Ooma Linx connected phone.
You can join a call with the Linx connected phone (have to Flash Linx connected phone).
You can answer a second inbound call with the Linx connected phone.
You can make an outbound call with the Linx connected phone, while some one else is talking on a previously established call.
Depending on the phone that you have connected to the Ooma Linx, you can conference a call using the Ooma Linx.

I am posting just what I tried. There are probably many more ways and things you can do while making and receiving calls with the Ooma phone system and the Ooma Linx connected phone.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
#101783 by thunderbird
Starting with the design, testing and release of the HD2 handset and Ooma Linx device, each Ooma Telo Firmware Version has contained two Sub Firmware Versions.

One Sub Firmware version is for the Old Telo handsets, and the other Sub Firmware Version is for the New HD2 handset(s) and the Ooma Linx device(s).

Only one Sub Firmware Version can be loaded in the Ooma Telo at one time.

For this reason, a mix of the Old Telo handsets and the New HD2 handset(s)/Ooma Linx(s), can't be used at the same time.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
#101784 by thunderbird
Star commands dialed using a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone Port.

Dial *#*#301 switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware
Dial *#*#302 switches to the new HD2 Ooma Telo handset firmware

Dial *#*#191 to unregister 1st HD2 handset or Linx device
Dial *#*#192 to unregister 2nd HD2 handset or Linx device
Dial *#*#193 to unregister 3rd HD2 handset or Linx device
Dial *#*#194 to unregister 4th HD2 handset or Linx device
Or
Dial *#*#199 to unregister all HD2 handsets or Linx devices

Usually if the Linx device is un-registered while it is powered and the status indication lights of the face of the Linx device is lit blue/blue, accessing Ooma Setup, DECT Settings page, and Clicking on the Remove button from the Sot where the Linx device is registered, will remove the registration from the Linx device (indicated by a flashing Amber light on the face of the Linx device) and the Ooma Telo.

But if the Linx device is unpowered or is malfunctioning, and the Ooma Setup DECT Settings Linx device is removed from the Slot indicated where it is install, the Linx device will still have to be powered, and a paper clip must be inserted in the tiny little reset hole, at the bottom of the Linx device, and held until the Linx Status Indication light turn flashing Amber, to clear it's registration, before the Ooma linx can be re-registered to the same Ooma Telo or another Ooma Telo.

The same is true if the paper clip Ooma Linx pin hole reset method is used to un-register the Ooma Linx, from the Ooma Telo that had the Ooma Linx registered. The Ooma Telo Ooma Setup will need to have the Ooma Linx un-registered from the Ooma Setup, DECT Settings page, from the Slot where the Ooma Linx was registered, either by the dial the phone method, or the clicking on the Remove button in the DECT Settings page, before the Ooma Linx or a HD2 handset can be registered to that slot.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
#102224 by murphy
Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:51 am
Jerald wrote:Can you connect the Linx to the Telo if you are still using the original handset? I understand a new firmware update is needed for the HD2, but not clear on the Linx.

No. The linx uses the same wireless protocols as the HD2 handset.
#102291 by Cuzz
Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 pm
If you're lookin' to just add some extra remote phone outlets for Ooma, without the bells and whistles that come with the Linx, I just invested a few bucks in a 5-way phone jack splitter, plugged a Telo phone line into the splitter input, then attached an ancient AT&T cordless phone base into one of the splitter outputs, and another newer AT&T cordless that I bought at Costco for around 70 bucks. Each base has 3 cordless handsets that you just plug in anywhere in the house (the handset cradles), and I now have 8 Ooma outlets in the house, 7 of which are cordless (the older base unit is corded). Granted, these remote handsets don't have the built in functionality of the Linx wireless phone extender, but if you just want lots of cordless handsets strategically positioned around the house, it's a relatively inexpensive alternative, since you'd have to buy a 2nd Telo and additional Linx units to accommodate more than 4 wireless port extenders, whereas cordless phones with a few handsets can be had for a song these days. Oh yeah...I use the extra splitters for my fax and PC internal modem, which I use occasionally to fax from my PC. It works for me, because the handsets have their own displays for caller ID and call waiting, and I can transfer calls to other handsets if need be, but usually I just pick up the phone and talk...or not.