Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101614 by Coyote Bill
Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:18 am
I am using multi-ring with all calls ringing on my cell phone as well as the Ooma phone line. When I am at home and try to pick up an incoming call on a wireless handset (a DECT 6.0 device made by Panasonic), the wireless handset stops ringing and indicates that the call is connected, but the caller can't hear me, I can't hear the caller, and my cell phone continues to ring. Usually, the wireless handset eventually makes the connection after several more rings on the cell phone, but sometimes it never picks up and the caller is sent to my cell phone's voice mail. Neither my callers nor I appreciate that!

When this first started many months ago, I was using an old technology wireless system made by Uniden. Thinking that the old phones were not compatible with the Ooma system, I purchased a brand new Panasonic system with DECT 6.0 technology, but I still have the problem. So, I assume there is something wrong with the Ooma system. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? I like Ooma and would rather not send it back for a refund.

Bill
#101618 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 am
Access My Ooma:
Page https://my.ooma.com/calling , temporararly remove the check mark in front of:
Enable call forwarding
&
Require key press before answering forwarded calls (shouldn't probably ever have this function enabled)

Page https://my.ooma.com/blacklists , temporarilty remove the check marks in front of:
Enable community blacklist
&
Enable personal blacklist

Click on the Save button.

Page https://my.ooma.com/privacy , temporarily remove the check marks in front of:
Block display of my caller-ID for outbound calls
&
Enable anonymous call block

Click on the Save button.

Wait for about one hour for the Ooma Serviers to catch up with your My Ooma changes, then have someone call you for testing.

If he can get through to the Panasonic headset, go back into My Ooma and place a check mark in front of ONLY one of the unchecked items you you what to function. Wait about one hour, and have the person call again, and see if the headset still functions okay.

Repeat the process until you find what is causing the problem.

Please report your findings back to this forum.
#102533 by Coyote Bill
Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm
thunderbird,

Thanks for your detailed instructions for seeking a solution to my problem. Unfortunately, they didn't work. After unchecking everything you suggested, I went a couple days before I re-enabled call forwarding with multi-ring to my cell phone. For the first week or so, everything worked fine, although I wasn't getting many calls while I was at home. Then, I occasionally had some incoming calls where I wasn't connected through my Panasonic handset until after a few more rings. However, yesterday I had the worst situation where the Panasonic handset was NOT connected before my cell phone sent the call to its voice mail. That's just not acceptable, because many of my incoming calls are important to me and I need to talk to the caller immediately.

I want to make it clear that this problem is intermittent. About 75% or more of my calls are connected just fine. Initially, I thought that enabling black lists could be the problem, but I still have the problem when those are disabled. Today, I re-enabled the black lists, because I'm tired of the robo-calls and they don't seem to be the cause of my problem.

I hope someone has another approach to resolving this problem. Otherwise, I'll be forced to look for a different telephone service provider.

Bill
#102536 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:21 pm
Coyote Bill, setting multi-ring should not affect your DECT 6 phone's ability to answer a call.

Have you tried without multi-ring set? 100% success or same intermittent result?

I would guess your DECT 6 phone base is too close to the Telo device. Move it away a few feet and see.
#102540 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:21 am
Coyote Bill wrote:thunderbird,

Thanks for your detailed instructions for seeking a solution to my problem. Unfortunately, they didn't work. After unchecking everything you suggested, I went a couple days before I re-enabled call forwarding with multi-ring to my cell phone. For the first week or so, everything worked fine, although I wasn't getting many calls while I was at home. Then, I occasionally had some incoming calls where I wasn't connected through my Panasonic handset until after a few more rings. However, yesterday I had the worst situation where the Panasonic handset was NOT connected before my cell phone sent the call to its voice mail. That's just not acceptable, because many of my incoming calls are important to me and I need to talk to the caller immediately.

I want to make it clear that this problem is intermittent. About 75% or more of my calls are connected just fine. Initially, I thought that enabling black lists could be the problem, but I still have the problem when those are disabled. Today, I re-enabled the black lists, because I'm tired of the robo-calls and they don't seem to be the cause of my problem.

I hope someone has another approach to resolving this problem. Otherwise, I'll be forced to look for a different telephone service provider.

Bill

Because of the firmware changes that were made for the new HD2 handsets, the firmware that is currnetly installed in your Ooma Telo may be the problem.

Call Ooma Customer Support and ask them to download a different later version of firmware to your Ooma Telo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

You will have to ask for third level support this have this accomplished.
#102635 by Coyote Bill
Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 pm
Thanks for the suggestion about moving my Panasonic base unit further from my Telo. I'll try that in a couple of weeks when I get back to town from my vacation. However, I'm not clear as to why that would be a problem since the Telo is not emitting any signal that I'm aware of, but then all of these electronic devices emit some amount of radiation. My base unit is about a foot away from the Telo, but I can increase that to at least three feet without much trouble.

Also thanks for the recommendation to get a software upgrade for the Telo. That too will have to wait until I return home.

I'll post a message with my results, but that won't be for several weeks.

Bill
#102636 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:49 pm
Coyote Bill wrote:Thanks for the suggestion about moving my Panasonic base unit further from my Telo. I'll try that in a couple of weeks when I get back to town from my vacation. However, I'm not clear as to why that would be a problem since the Telo is not emitting any signal that I'm aware of, but then all of these electronic devices emit some amount of radiation. My base unit is about a foot away from the Telo, but I can increase that to at least three feet without much trouble.

Also thanks for the recommendation to get a software upgrade for the Telo. That too will have to wait until I return home.

I'll post a message with my results, but that won't be for several weeks.

Bill

The Ooma Telo does have an active DECT wireless signal. If Ooma Telo handset and Ooma Linx devices aren't used, in the later Ooma Telo firmware releases, the DECT wireless signal can be turned off in Ooma Setup, DECT settings page.
#102639 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 pm
Telo's DECT signal may be butting heads with your DECT phone base is my hope and when placed apart further, hopefully your issues will go away.

If you didn't mention that this is your new DECT phone, I would have guessed it is your DECT phone system going belly up.

My mother in-law's DECT 6 phone was going belly up; sometimes would not answer/connect no matter how many times she pressed the talk button (the screen would say "connecting;" I think the DECT phone handset was losing connection with the base periodically); my mother in-law is with landline. Once I got her a new DECT phone, no more issues.