Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101535 by dantevolta
Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm
I would really like it if Ooma would increase the amount of blacklisted numbers we can have. I have 268 right now, and it's just not enough! Please, raise it to 1000, or better yet, unlimited!
Dantevolta
#101764 by seroskey
Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 am
The limit is 256. I will throw in another vote to raise the limit. With the political season in full swing, mine has filled up.

If the limit can't be raised, then at least make it easier to manage the list. You have to select an number and open it to delete the number and then the list goes back to the fist 10 numbers. Check boxes and a group delete?

How about a field that show the last time each number called or even how many times, to help figure out which ones to remove.
#101809 by alanmalk
Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:16 pm
I just checked - 46% of my last 100 incoming calls were junk. It is not going to take long to reach the 256 limit on blacklisting at that rate.

Two solutions that anyone with some programming experience can implement:
1. White list - block everyone except in my contact list.
2. Wildcard blacklisting - 800-***-**** or 719-222-****.

This is not rocket science. Some of the standalone blockers already have it.
#101873 by Oatmeal
Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:39 am
alanmalk wrote:This is not rocket science. Some of the standalone blockers already have it.
Can you name a few of the standalone blockers? The few I have found are no longer made or sold. The only other ones are certain telephones, but with a very low number of blocked numbers (e.g. 30).

It's a big enough problem for me to buy a box to use with my Ooma. It is just pathetic that the do not call legislation has done absolutely nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the sleazeballs do the opposite and use the dnc list to actually spam from. The list has confirmed live numbers and there is apparently no prosecution of the violators.
#101880 by alanmalk
Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:39 am
Can you name a few of the standalone blockers?

At the time I wrote my previous post I did a search for Call Blockers on Amazon. Some of the reviews indicated they were happy with wildcard blocking and white list.

Yes, Ooma is letting us down. And yes, the D-N-C list is a good source of personal, live phone numbers. On the other hand,
legitimate companies probably follow the law. I have not received a single call from General Motors, General Electric or General Mills.
#102064 by jtykal
Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 pm
Adding another voice to this thread. A Personal Blacklist is the KEY reason I have been a Premier subscriber from Day One. (I still use my trusty old Hub and Scout even though I was a beta tester for the Telo...) My personal blacklist is full, and I'm tired of dealing with the political calls.

Several others have offered great suggestions, which I would love to see Ooma implement:
* increasing the number of blacklist entries (unlimited is the right number!)
* provide statistics on blacklist numbers -- sort by last called, number of times called, etc.
* improved usability/manageability of list -- multi select/delete
* wildcard entries
#102550 by snowbank
Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 am
Oatmeal wrote:Can you name a few of the standalone blockers? The few I have found are no longer made or sold. The only other ones are certain telephones, but with a very low number of blocked numbers (e.g. 30).

It's a big enough problem for me to buy a box to use with my Ooma. It is just pathetic that the do not call legislation has done absolutely nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the sleazeballs do the opposite and use the dnc list to actually spam from. The list has confirmed live numbers and there is apparently no prosecution of the violators.

Digitone. $100. I have one. Allows wildcards at area code level. Only blocks 80 explicitly specified (all 10 digits) numbers however. Whitelist 60 numbers. Discussion at Comcast: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Universal- ... d-p/797768
#102615 by vaughnsimon
Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 pm
I agree that unlimited is the best number, and that's what I thought I was buying when I bought Premier!

Also, if OOMA were to integrate the community blocking list a bit better, so that we can remove numbers from our personal blocking list when they finally make it onto the community list. (Better yet, give us the option to do it automatically) To my knowledge, the community list has no visibility to the users. For all I know, it might not exist at all!

The powerful blocking is at least 50% of the reason I went to OOMA. The phone spammers are fighting us by using more and more different numbers, thus we need the ability to add more. If OOMA wishes to maintain their marketing advantage, they need to keep their blocking function useful to their customers. Yes, this is a bit of an "arms race".
#102618 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:54 pm
Community Blacklist does exist. I had a few triggered by Community Blacklist. I send my personal blacklist to blackhole and community blacklist to VM. I got a few voicemails from spammers sent to VM by Community Blacklist; spammers rarely leave messages so I know it is probably working more frequently than the number of VMs I got.

To look at some info related to blacklist enhancements:

/viewtopic.php?t=13929#p97087
/viewtopic.php?t=13780#p95904

Bobby B wrote:Longer-term, we plan on eventually allowing users to see what's on the community blacklist and to share their own comments on numbers that appear there.