Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101409 by popwireless
Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:46 pm
I knew I had a problem when I received a call from home on the ALTERNATE or second line.

I had assigned the second line to a group called FAX. Once I did that, no matter what I tried the calls all came from the second number and not from the master number I ported. That is a BIG problem.

The second number is supposed to be for our FAX machine.

I tried putting that number BACK into the default group and now all of my calls are still coming from the second line and not the primary line. Calls to the primary line go INSTANTLY to voicemail and the phones don't ring. (Using a cordless phone plugged into the back of TELO.

The dual line jacks don't plug into TELO I need a pigtail to make it work. Not sure if that would help under the circumstances since this DID NOT START until I tried following the FAX instructions.

I have tried using the flash key. No change. Tried pushing the line number option on the Telo device no change.

Callers all think I am calling from line 2!

HELP! :o
#101410 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:11 pm
popwireless:
This problem may have to do with the "In Between (preparing for the new HD2 handset) firmware" that you have right now.

Probably best if you send Dennis Ping, Ooma moderator and Chief Engineer, an E-mail, and ask if he can have your problem corrected.

Provide him with an in-detail request of what you want.

Contact him at: memberlist.php?mode=email&u=59
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#101411 by popwireless
Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:12 pm
To fix this I had to back out my changes.

1. Transferred the secondary number back to the default group.
2. Deleted the group called FAX that I created with Add a device.

Apparently when a second group is created the second group becomes the default. Perhaps if I assign the main number to the new group and leave the FAX line in the default box that will leave our main number as the master number when we pick up the phone. I'd swear though that Was unable to switch between the two.

I have a two-line splitter that I tried using in this fashion:

1. Plug four wire phone extension chord into Telo and into L1+L2 in splitter.

2. Plug phone into L1 I hear dial tone.

3. Plug phone into L2 there is no dial tone.

I thought I understood from teh instructions that the second line would be on the other pair like a pair of lines furnished from the regular phone company?

If that's not the case then somehow the FAX machine is going to have to detect the alternate ring, answer using some special string? I'm totally confused at the moment. Seems much too confusing. I have to be missing something simple.
#101412 by popwireless
Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm
thunderbird wrote:popwireless:
This problem may have to do with the "In Between preparing for the new HD2 handset Firmware" that you have right now.
Probably best if you send Dennis Ping, Ooma moderator and Chief Engineer, an E-mail, and ask if he can have your problem corrected.

Contact him at: memberlist.php?mode=email&u=59

Thanks. I fixed it by backing out my changes. Not sure how the second line works for FAX now though. I'm not using their handset, just a basic cordless phone with two handsets.
#101413 by popwireless
Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:19 pm
Another point was that I had the inbound ring on default set to two rings. Even so the calls to default went right to voicemail like the line was off hook. I changed it back to five rings. Seems to be OK now and we can call from the secondary line using flash.
#101414 by popwireless
Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:23 pm
The advantage to having a separate group seemed only to be that the phone stats and blocking etc were separate from the master number. I did not hear a second line on the L2 part of the splitter.

The instructions in the FAQ for setting up the new device did not match with the screens currently in the product either. Steps and screens have changed leaving the customer to scratch their heads and muddle through the setup.
#101416 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:07 pm
popwireless wrote:The advantage to having a separate group seemed only to be that the phone stats and blocking etc were separate from the master number. I did not hear a second line on the L2 part of the splitter.

The instructions in the FAQ for setting up the new device did not match with the screens currently in the product either. Steps and screens have changed leaving the customer to scratch their heads and muddle through the setup.

This is why I suggested that you contact Dennis P.
#101626 by popwireless
Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 pm
Ooma must have read this because the set up screen has changed. I went back to the FAQ and re-read the instructions. Apparently the ONLY way to have a dedicated FAX line is to plug the FAX machine into OOMA Telo and set up a device for it. Then if you want to use the main telephone number you MUST buy their handsets and throw out your own phones. At least that's how I think I read it.

That makes the second number pretty much useless as a FAX number. What would be cool of course would be to have regular phones on one pair and the fax on another available on the four RJ-11 output of the Telo. The current option is cost prohibitive and the Ooma handsets have received terrible reviews on Amazon. :shock:
#101628 by popwireless
Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:39 pm
The fine print at the bottom of the FAX FAQ:

"Note: If you find a need for reliable faxing, we recommend that you keep a Landline for this purpose."

The option to use the same line ONLY WORKS if you can be there to receive the FAX at the FAX machine and ONLY on the same line as your regular phone handsets.

There is really no way to inexpensively benefit from the second number.

I think Ooma should be more forthcoming to consumers regarding the use of a FAX machine and the use of the so-called second line. UP FRONT they should say they DO NOT RECOMMEND it for FAX and if it is used the consumer MUST BUY expensive Telo branded handsets and may not connect the Telo to their home wiring. That statement should be at the top of the FAQ and in the sales materials. It is otherwise misleading.
Last edited by popwireless on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#101629 by popwireless
Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:41 pm
I think I understand now now why the Telo switched all inbound and outbound traffic to the second number now. It was performing as designed. I no longer had access to the main line UNLESS I had their handsets communicating with the Telo. There is no hardware access to line two via the RJ-11 jack like their is with standard telephone service.