Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#8737 by jdp
Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:46 am
How do I get the Ooma scout to work now that all I have is Ooma and AT&T DSL?

Everything was working fine until AT&T cut off their phone service to me. Now only the phone hooked up to the Ooma Hub works.

Thanks,
#8739 by WayneDsr
Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:54 am
Are you saying that you have a Scout hooked up in another room and it no longer works?

Wayne
#8742 by WayneDsr
Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 am
First, make sure the Scout works by putting it next to the hub and connecting the hub to the scout via WALL of the hub to the WALL of the scout.

Then put the Scout back in the other room, connect it to the wall using the WALL on the Scout.
Plug the hub into the wall jack via WALL on the hub.

Turn ooma and scout off. After a minute turn the ooma hub on, let it connect then turn the scout on. Hopefully it will go blue, if not:

First, make sure the old landline is disconnected from the house wiring. This usually means unplugging a phone jack in the telco box so that there is no longer a connection between the house and AT&T. Sometimes a voltage is left that messes with ooma.

If this doesn't make the scout go blue, then the next step would be to remove the dsl from the scouts line.

Wayne
#8751 by Pandora
Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 am
DSL can interfere with HPNA (HPNA is a DSL-like communication technique that the Ooma hub uses to communicate with the scouts).

You may not be able to run communication between an Ooma hub and scouts on a line which has DSL active on it.

A possible solution would be an external DSL filter, which removes the DSL signal from most of the phone jacks in your home.
#8788 by maniusha
Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 pm
Today I changed from Cable to DSL and I do not have have land line, using ooma only. I had the same problem. I called support and they said I am not suppose to use DSL filter. I removed the filter at both base and scout now they are working fine. In fact I called the ooma support a week back to be ready for DSL. when I asked them about the DSL filter the support person asked me to use the DSL filter, but unfortunately he was wrong and I wasted 1 hr to figure out the problem myself before calling the support again today
In short do not use the filter
#8790 by Pandora
Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 pm
The filters protect your phone and DSL service. Also HPNA (the feature Ooma hubs use to communicate with scouts) can interfere with DSL when they are on the same network with no filter.

Good luck, if you have trouble in the future, an external DSL filter would resolve most any interference issue. An external filter would filter all phone jacks in the home from DSL (but still allow Ooma to use HPNA) with the exception of the single phone jack that DSL uses to reach it's modem.
Last edited by Pandora on Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#8791 by jdp
Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:23 pm
When AT&T disconnected the phone service my Ooma stopped working. I called Ooma support and they said to use the DSL filter on the Hub. That got they hub up and running but a filter on the Scout line doesn't help the Scout to work.
#8800 by Pandora
Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 am
jdp wrote:When AT&T disconnected the phone service my Ooma stopped working. I called Ooma support and they said to use the DSL filter on the Hub. That got they hub up and running but a filter on the Scout line doesn't help the Scout to work.
HPNA is the protocol the hub uses to communicate with the scout. DSL and HPNA can interfere with each other. If both HPNA and DSL are on the same line, you can have communication problems with either HPNA, DSL devices or both.

One solution is to install an external DSL filter. Where all jacks are filtered except the jack that connects to the DSL modem. An example of installing an external DSL filter is here - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark, ... ;mode=flat

Another choice would be to disconnect the rest of the house from the phone company DSL feed, and only feed the DSL jack (the jack where the DSL modem is) from the phone company external feed. This would mean you'd need to identify the pair of wires which feeds your DSL modem and only keep that pair connected to the phone company. This would be the easiest solution, and the fastest, but you'd have to know what pair to keep connected. The other jacks in the house would only be connected to each other (not to the telco).

A third choice would be to run your Ooma hub and scout(s) on line 2 of your phone jacks. Most RJ11 (phone) jacks can support up to 2 phone lines at the same time. There are splitters which can break out line 1 and line 2. This would permit you to avoid the line which has DSL on it by using another (currently unused line). For this to work, line 2 would have to be connected on both jacks, and the wires between the jacks would have to be appropriately connected. A splitter which would let you break out line 1 and line 2 on an ordinary phone jack would be something like this - http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... largeimage
#8802 by WayneDsr
Fri May 01, 2009 3:42 am
In your telco box find line one, which is the line your dsl is using.
You should have a line 2 in your telco box with a second pair of wires connected to this. With a DSL/Phone splitter connected the DSL side to line one and the phone side to line 2. This will put the DSL filter on the whole house on line 2 and keep the DSL signal on line 1.

Go to the wall jack you want to connect your scout to. Remove the plate and switch the line 1 pair with the line 2 pair. You may have to look in your telco box to see what colors are being used for line 2.

On the hub end, open the wall jack and see if the second pair is also connected to your wall jack. Normally 2 lines are connected. If not connect the second pair to your wall jack. If you do not have a place to connect the second pair, you have to buy a double wall jack, one jack for line 1 and one jack for line 2. This is the best way to do it, because it gives you one jack (line 1) for your dsl modem and one jack (line 2) for your hub's WALL connecter to the scout.

If you only have one jack and both lines are connected to it, buy a 2 line splitter so you have a line one jack and a line 2 jack to plug in to.

It all sounds a bit complicated and it all depends on your house wiring.
YMMV.

Wayne