Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101196 by roodhawg
Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 am
I am seeing quite a few outgoing calls (15+ each round) in my call log to number I am unfamiliar with. The number seems to be dialed over and over for about an hour then stops until the next round. The number is (888) 603-9487. Is this a number Ooma is trying to call on it's own?

The call times are variable from 0:01 to 0:54.

When I call it, it sounds like a fax line or something. Is this checking for updates?

Thanks
#101197 by murphy
Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 am
Do you have Dish or DirecTV?
Or any other appliance that calls home regularly (TiVo, ReplayTV)?
#101200 by roodhawg
Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 am
Have Time Warner, but good point.

I have a whole house network with Two Samsung TV's, two blu-ray players and a surround reciever that are hard wired (i was able to CAT-5e my house when I built it). I wonder if one of these is trying to "phone home" for some reason. Even if, I wouldn't think so many calls would be attempted when trying. I think I turned off automatic updating on all those devices too, need to double check that.

Thank you for the reply! Anyone else have any ideas?
#101202 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am
roodhawg:
Ooma, itself does not dial out. Some other device in your LAN is dialing out.

When number (888) 603-9487 is dialed, it answers with fax like tones.

My Dish TV box dial-out number sounds the same way.

Did you go into https://my.ooma.com/call_logs and see if it was an inbound or outbound call?

If you have a device like Dish TV, Prefix *99, *98, or *96 has to be enters in the Call preferences section for the call out to be successfully completed. Then you will see only one call, once a day.
#101258 by roodhawg
Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm
I've tried to narrow this down and I believe it's my ADT security system trying to call out. Right now, it's not able to call ADTwhen the alarm goes off so i'm guessing that's why so many calls over and over. I cannot find the entry point for the prefix mentioned in the previous response. Where am I supposed to enter the prefix?

Thanks
#101265 by murphy
Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:43 am
roodhawg wrote:I've tried to narrow this down and I believe it's my ADT security system trying to call out. Right now, it's not able to call ADTwhen the alarm goes off so i'm guessing that's why so many calls over and over. I cannot find the entry point for the prefix mentioned in the previous response. Where am I supposed to enter the prefix?

Thanks

You need the Installer Code for the panel and have to change the panel programming to add the prefix.
Do you have the phone line installed properly?
The Ooma Phone port has to go directly to the input of the alarm panel and no where else, not even to a local phone.
The output of the panel feeds the rest of the phones in the house. This is necessary so the panel can sieze the line when it needs to make a call. If the panel needs to make a call and the line is in use using an Ooma handset and you don't have Premier service the panel would be unable to get a line to make a call.
Without Premier there is no second line available and it has no way to interrupt a call in progress using an Ooma handset.
#101514 by roodhawg
Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:20 am
I had an installer come out and he tried just about everything to get the security panel to work. We found that the panel called out just fine but the security monitoring station was unable to recognize the handshake from the panel for some reason. So, it hung up on the panel. I guess ADT does this to try and weed out false positive alarms. As far as *99, *98, or any * prefix, unfortunately my panel considers an "*" as = save. So the installer could not enter any * values.

The installer also double checked the phone line set up and it is all correct. I never had my house connected to any AT&T or other box and the secirity panel is connected to capture the line first.

Does anyone know of other keystrokes that indicate optomize for fax or use high bandwidth for the Telo? If not I'm afraid i'm going to have to return. I am really bummed out but i've got to be able to call out to ADT. They want $200 and $10/month for a gms dialer added to the panel.

Thanks

murphy wrote:
roodhawg wrote:I've tried to narrow this down and I believe it's my ADT security system trying to call out. Right now, it's not able to call ADTwhen the alarm goes off so i'm guessing that's why so many calls over and over. I cannot find the entry point for the prefix mentioned in the previous response. Where am I supposed to enter the prefix?

Thanks

You need the Installer Code for the panel and have to change the panel programming to add the prefix.
Do you have the phone line installed properly?
The Ooma Phone port has to go directly to the input of the alarm panel and no where else, not even to a local phone.
The output of the panel feeds the rest of the phones in the house. This is necessary so the panel can sieze the line when it needs to make a call. If the panel needs to make a call and the line is in use using an Ooma handset and you don't have Premier service the panel would be unable to get a line to make a call.
Without Premier there is no second line available and it has no way to interrupt a call in progress using an Ooma handset.