Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101046 by rohpks
Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:42 am
I have been using Ooma for the past 8 months and I notice that whenever I am connected to internet (wired/wireless) and also talking on the phone, periodically I loose internet connection (internet and dropped call) and can see the cable modem resetting. After a minute or so, the internet is back and also the phone line. This is more frequent during the day.
I have Cox internet with a Motorola SB5101u cable modem connected to a Linksys router.
Any suggestions as to the rootcause and possible fix to this problem? Appreciate your help.
#101047 by murphy
Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 am
Connect to

http://192.168.100.1

which is a web page inside of your modem.

Find the signal strength screen and report

Downstream signal level
Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)
Upstream power level

Modem reboots are usually caused by signal levels that are either too low or too high.
#101051 by murphy
Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:18 am
The signal level is on the low side although within the modem's spec of -15 to +15 dBmV.
The SNR should be at least 35.

There should only be one two way splitter between your incoming cable line and the modem.
The splitter should be rated from 5 MHz to 1000 MHz.
#101055 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 am
rohpks wrote:I have been using Ooma for the past 8 months and I notice that whenever I am connected to internet (wired/wireless) and also talking on the phone, periodically I loose internet connection (internet and dropped call) and can see the cable modem resetting. After a minute or so, the internet is back and also the phone line. This is more frequent during the day.
I have Cox internet with a Motorola SB5101u cable modem connected to a Linksys router.
Any suggestions as to the rootcause and possible fix to this problem? Appreciate your help.

It appears that the Motorola SB5101u is prone to do what you discribe. See this thread: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivi ... -p/1360539

If that Motorola SB5101u is rented, get Cox to give you another one, or better yet, give you a later more up to date model Modem.
#101056 by murphy
Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:44 am
rohpks wrote:There is only one two way splitter between the incoming cable line from the outlet and modem. It is rated as you mentioned: 5MHz - 1000MHz. Should I not use the splitter?

Thanks for your help in trying to troubleshoot the problem.

The splitter should be fine.
You may want to have your cable company check your signal.
They should be supplying a higher signal level that you are seeing.
#101088 by rohpks
Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 am
I removed the splitter and directly connected the modem to the cable outlet. I get the following values..

Downstream Value
Frequency: 855000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio: 34.1 dB
Power Level: -7.0 dBmV

Its too early to tell, but I am hoping this will solve my problem. If not, I will buy a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.