Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101153 by NelsonJ
Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 am
Thanks for replies. I was wondering if there is someway to connect from my online computer to telo to enter some type of code to restore it and return to operating mode after boot up. To those that have been active here much longer than myself, has this happened to you? If so, was there a workaround that fixed the issue? One last question-is this a common problem with the telo, and if so, how have you prevented this from happening to yours? Thanks again for for trying to help me :)
#101163 by greggerca
Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 pm
If there is a solution, I'd love to know it.

I also have a jailbroken Linksys RTP300 that can use nearly any VoIP provider's SIP credentials.
If Ooma had a BYOD policy, I could jump back on right now. But I have read elsewhere that they have modified the SIP protocol, so generic SIP devices wouldn't work anyway.

If anyone knows something, I hope they let us in on the secret.

Otherwise, let's hope no one turns off their Telo.
#102303 by sargek
Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:19 am
My Ooma is doing something similar. We are new Ooma customers and our first refurbished device was DOA until I wiggled the power connector then it booted and worked fine for about 24 hours after which time it died again. I called and got a replacement quickly, which looked like it had been run over by a truck, but was at least functional. The "new" device worked fine for about 3 days and is now stuck in a constant reboot cycle and never gets to the red flashing Ooma symbol. I have powered it off and on with no success.

This is pretty bad for a new customer who just spent $140 on something to save money. I am going to call this morning when Ooma tech support opens and request yet another device but I am quickly losing confidence in these devices. If I didn't have phone service from another company and already paid for and started the port process, I might be able to just walk away and chalk it up to a bad experience, but now Ooma is in the process of porting my number and I am stuck.

I had joked about this very situation with my friends when I first told them about this service: "looks like a good deal but I am worried the device might die after a while". I am not a happy customer.
#102304 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:42 am
sargek wrote:My Ooma is doing something similar. We are new Ooma customers and our first refurbished device was DOA until I wiggled the power connector then it booted and worked fine for about 24 hours after which time it died again. I called and got a replacement quickly, which looked like it had been run over by a truck, but was at least functional. The "new" device worked fine for about 3 days and is now stuck in a constant reboot cycle and never gets to the red flashing Ooma symbol. I have powered it off and on with no success.

Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
Try temporarily disconnecting the Network cables from the Ooma Telo Internet port, and Home Port. Temporarily remove the phone cord from the Ooma Telo Phone port, and the Wall port (if this unit has a Wall phone port). Temporarily remove any USB device connected to the Ooma Telo USB port.
Repower the Ooma Telo, and see if it will now boot to the Red Flashing Ooma Symbol.

If the Ooma Telo does boot to the Red flashing Ooma Symbol, do the following, starting with step 6:

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.
#102313 by sargek
Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:02 am
Tried that before I posted. The device is dead and is stuck in an infinite reboot loop. Called tech support and he went through several procedures and after about 20 minutes determined the device is not working. It rebooted 16 times according to the logs and continued to do so until I unplugged it...Ooma is sending me a new unit on Tuesday. Third time's a charm they say, we'll see. I want very badly for this to work because I am tired of getting ripped off my voip companies but the device reliability thus far is in question.