Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100997 by greggerca
Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 pm
I think my Telo is bricked. And it isn't under warranty anymore.

My setup and symptoms are consistent with this post here:

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13671

I had mine hooked up to a UPS and it should have been protected from both surges and the power outages (caused by a squirrel jumping into a substation!).
Eventually I did power the Telo off during the power outage because there was no reason to keep it running.
The power was off for a long time and the UPS just kept beeping...

If anyone has an idea of how to make the Telo boot into some sort of "Recovery Mode" or force a firmware onto the device, let me know.

I've tried all the "remove devices, wait, power it on" steps.
I've left it overnight (disconnected) and powered it on.
I've held down the Trash and Stop buttons while powering it on...

Lights L1 and L2 light up steadily about 1 second after the power is turned on.

If you plug a PC into the Ethernet port in the back, you will see that the Ethernet adapter attempts to get an address, then becomes "unplugged" and then attempts to get an address.

Basically the Telo is failing to get past some initial boot sequence.

My router assigns it a static IP and the Telo is unavailable via any means that I can tell so far.
The Ethernet (to Internet) port starts blinking, then stops, goes steady, then starts blinking, etc.

So it is pretty fried.

But the UPS should have suppressed surges.

I guess I shouldn't have done that.

Thanks for any insight.
#100998 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm
greggerca:
Sometimes, not very often but sometimes, if you disconnect all of the network cables, phone cords, and USB devices from the Ooma Telo, leaving only the power adapter connected.

Remove power from the Ooma device, and then repower the Ooma Telo, and see if it will boot past the Line 1 & Line 2 lights.

Try this more then once if the first try doesn't help.

If it will boot to the Red flashing Ooma sysmbol, remove power, reconnect everything and try it.
#100999 by greggerca
Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 pm
Thanks for the prompt reply...
I've done that more than a few times.

Is there a special dance to do while I unplug and re-plug it?
Or is there another adapter that might fit it (from some other electronics item)?
Maybe it's under current / voltage?

I've left it totally unplugged overnight, so maybe I can get it to behave today...
It's even in a different room.

Maybe the change of scenery will make it happy...
#101001 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:51 pm
greggerca wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply...
I've done that more than a few times.

Is there a special dance to do while I unplug and re-plug it?
Or is there another adapter that might fit it (from some other electronics item)?
Maybe it's under current / voltage?

I've left it totally unplugged overnight, so maybe I can get it to behave today...
It's even in a different room.

Maybe the change of scenery will make it happy...

The power adapter is 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 0.4 Ampers imput
Output is +5 VDC, 2 Ampers or more

So anything that you can find that has a +5 VDC (not more then), 2 Ampers or more out put with the same kind of power connector for plugging into the Ooma Telo, try it.

How long have you had your Ooma Telo?
#101009 by greggerca
Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm
I tried another adapter - I actually had one that fit!
I put it on a power meter to read the wattage it was drawing while it was sitting there too.

No change. Basically, it appears to draw a little more wattage at first, then it sits for a while (maybe 2 min), then it starts the process over... drawing more power, then diminishing.

I think it's attempting to get past a corrupted boot flash image.

The warranty expired about 10 months ago.
It was a refurb unit, which actually was DOA, and was replaced, and so this was unit #2.

It survived many power outages on this UPS.
#101099 by NelsonJ
Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 pm
I have this same problem now after power was turned off for several hours (not from a storm) Have tried everything and even some of my own combinations. My warranty ran out 6-20-2012 and I did not renew as I thought something like this could not happen. I do not have the funds to purchase a new unit retail and also am wondering if this also happens very often. Seems like just turning off power should not disable the unit to reboot. I hope someone can help me with a solution. Thank you
#101100 by greggerca
Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:30 pm
I have not had any better luck after trying a few other things.

So, it's dead.

Because I don't use my phone much there, I may go the "Port to T-Mobile pre-paid SIM" then "Port to Google Voice" route and park this number there forever.

I haven't contacted Ooma yet, but basically the solution will be get a new one / refurb one.

Yours was so close to being in warranty (see another thread referenced in here), you might see if they'd extend your warranty for $40.

Mine was about a year out.
#101101 by NelsonJ
Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 pm
I use my home phone more than cell and would rather stay with Ooma, but have thoughts of future power outages here in the northeast. Even with a warranty in place, it seems like a possible hassle if this happens often. I have a problem knowing that this could happen again. I do not have the patience that I had years ago, do not like dealing with customer service as people don't care anymore. Thanks for reply