Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100873 by jrosen
Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:53 pm
I want to leave my basic phone service for my alarm system..how often does an alarm system phone the alarm monitoring company? I think the basic service is billed by usage, so im worried it will end up being costly.

Also, when I port the number, I dont want it to disconnect my service..how do I prevent that from happening?

Thanks,
Jeffrey
#100877 by murphy
Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:31 pm
jrosen wrote:I want to leave my basic phone service for my alarm system..how often does an alarm system phone the alarm monitoring company? I think the basic service is billed by usage, so im worried it will end up being costly.

Also, when I port the number, I dont want it to disconnect my service..how do I prevent that from happening?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Calls by an alarm system to the monitoring center are normally to 800 type numbers that do not cost you anything.
If no alarms happen it would call every 4 weeks in most cases. I have seen a few that call on a weekly basis but I don't think that is the norm.

Porting a number automatically cancels the losing phone service.
Are you talking about not disconnecting phone service or a DSL service?
#100899 by jrosen
Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:14 am
phone service..I want to leave my old line in place for the alarm. The alternative is the alarm company sells a device for $140 (includes setting it up)..but I will have to run cat5 to the alarm panel, which is a bit of a pain..so its probably easier to just downgrade my service to the lowest thing they offer.
If I may ask then, approx what is your basic phone service cost and how much 'additional' charges have you seen as a result of the alarm? I guess I'll have to setup a new basic line, which will probably cost me a setup fee :(..
#100900 by murphy
Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:33 am
I have a Verizon budget phone line that has no long distance or regional calling capability other than free 800 numbers.
The line costs $17.20 per month ($8.13 for the phone line and $9.07 for taxes and fees). :shock:
There is no additional cost for alarm calls since they use an 800 number.
The line provides local calling with a $0.25 allowance against local calls.
Local calls cost $0.07 per call during prime hours and $0.028 during off prime hours.
I do not have a phone that rings connected to the line.
There is an answering machine with a message stating the line will never be answered.

I didn't have a phone line until I got the alarm system so I don't know how the phone company would handle your request.
I would call and ask them how to keep the phone line with a new number after the existing number is ported away.
#105281 by rortt
Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm
Murphy,

You may want to go back to your monitoring company and ask for cellular connection. My monitoring company only charges $11 more per month for cellular monitoring. This would save you a few bucks every month is that is the only reason you have the Verizon basic line.