Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100808 by diddlydoo
Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:22 am
I really need the features that Ooma Premier offers but I have come to find out that I can bundle phone service with my cable company and come out so much cheaper than having to pay for Premier. The phone that comes with my cable company offers all features offered by Premier.

I have one of the 'no fee' phones. I pay no monthly fees.

If I port my number to another phone and later decide I want to go back to Ooma, will I have to start paying monthly fees? What other fees might I have to pay to go back to Ooma?

If I sell my Ooma system, I seem to have heard that the person I sell it to will have to start paying fees. That true? That wouldn't seem right though.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
#100810 by focuspuller
Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:09 am
Before you jump....READ THE FINE PRINT.
How long will you be paying less than $10.00 per month?
What taxes and fees are added to the account after you take their offer of the phone?
I have never seen a cable company phone cost $10.00 a month!!
#100811 by murphy
Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 am
diddlydoo wrote:If I port my number to another phone and later decide I want to go back to Ooma, will I have to start paying monthly fees?

Yes.

What other fees might I have to pay to go back to Ooma?

Re-activate the box for $80 or buy a Telo at full price.

If I sell my Ooma system, I seem to have heard that the person I sell it to will have to start paying fees. That true? That wouldn't seem right though.

That is true plus they will have to pay the $80 re-activation fee.

#100818 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:15 am
focuspuller wrote:Before you jump....READ THE FINE PRINT.
How long will you be paying less than $10.00 per month?
What taxes and fees are added to the account after you take their offer of the phone?
I have never seen a cable company phone cost $10.00 a month!!

focuspuller is right on. Don't get sucked in.

Need to consider what the pricing is after promotional period: http://www.comcastinfo.com/digital_voice.html
#100820 by focuspuller
Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 am
focuspuller wrote:Before you jump....READ THE FINE PRINT.

"UNLIMITED VOICE SPECIAL OFFER – for 6 months
After first 6 months, monthly service charge goes to $44.99 for months 7-12.
After 12 months, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular charges apply. Comcast’s current monthly service charge for XFINITY Unlimited ranges from $39.95 to $44.95"
#100836 by diddlydoo
Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm
Thanks for the info.

I have Charter and if I add phone to my bundle, I pay 89.00 a year for cable TV, internet and phone for 2 years. Right now without the phone in my bundle, I pay 98.00 a month. So for 2 years I would pay almost 10.00 less for 2 years plus get the phone with all the features I need. I may just end up doing this. It seems dumb not to when I save money and get more features...and yes, I have read the small print of the offer and all is good, but thanks for the heads up to make sure it gets checked. :)
#100848 by focuspuller
Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm
diddlydoo wrote:Thanks for the info.

I have Charter and if I add phone to my bundle, I pay 89.00 a year for cable TV, internet and phone for 2 years. Right now without the phone in my bundle, I pay 98.00 a month. So for 2 years I would pay almost 10.00 less for 2 years plus get the phone with all the features I need. I may just end up doing this. It seems dumb not to when I save money and get more features...and yes, I have read the small print of the offer and all is good, but thanks for the heads up to make sure it gets checked. :)

Watch the added fees and taxes!!!
#100871 by diddlydoo
Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm
Yep, even with tax, I'll come out cheaper. Unfortunately I need the Premier if I kept the Ooma but now the cable companies are pushing their phones in bundles for so much cheaper than the Ooma + Premier+some of you have to pay the monthly fees also.
#100896 by lbmofo
Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 pm
Still very very hard to believe you'll come out on top on this one. Cable company charges $30 at least for phone service once promotional period is over.

Here is what I'd do if I were you (if you really made up your mind to go with cable phone service and port your number out):

Assign a second number to your Ooma account.
Port your number out to Cable company but since you have a second number on your Ooma account, your Ooma account won't deactivate. Once your main number is ported out, you only have 1 number remaining. You can cancel your Premier at that point. This way, you won't have to reactivate Ooma once you realize cable compnay jobbed you. Make sure you bring your Ooma online for a while once every 6 months.