Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100798 by jdj
Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm
I don't think this is a problem with my Ooma Telo, but perhaps someone can help. I've tried searching the forums for a situation like this one, but haven't found it yet.

When I had traditional land line service, I had no problems. A year or so ago I switched to my cable company's VoIP option. Every now and then, some parties would say they called and reached an automated voicemail greeting (which didn't belong to us), and I never received the calls. Cable company couldn't diagnose the problem.

I switched to Ooma (like it much better), and thought it would solve everything, but it has happened again. Caller has called my number, and it goes to an automated voicemail greeting - not part of the Ooma or any answering machine of mine, as far as I can tell. The incoming call did not show up as a missed or incoming call on My Ooma website, at the time the caller said they attempted the call.

One commonality is that if my phone number is 123-4567, these other parties, whose incoming calls I'm not receiving, are calling from numbers that share the same prefix as my number, 123.

It seems like a call routing table somewhere is messed up(?) - any ideas or resources on how I can troubleshoot this further/where to look for help?

Thanks
#100799 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm
Did you port your number from landline to cable voip to Ooma? If so, the best thing to do is to find out for your self, using the service of the problematic caller (this is highly likely your old landline carrier?), by calling your self (using the problematic service). If the common theme is that your old landline subscribers can't reach you, you need to have your old landline resolve a routing issue (can't call a working number). The fastest way is to have a customer of theirs call them to complain about inability to call a working number.
#100801 by jdj
Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:52 pm
Yes, I should have mentioned that - I've had the same number all along, ported from landline to cable, then from cable to Ooma. That's a good idea, I'll see if I can determine what carrier is used by the 3 businesses whose calls to me have not made it through, and see if that carrier's support (from a request of the customer of theirs) can resolve the issue. Thanks for the tip.
#102041 by stormer
Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:18 am
I'm a new ooma customer. The phone number given to me by ooma works great to forward calls from google voice and also calls from outside lines work fine... but for whatever reason, my Sprint cell phone gets this message:

"The number or code is incorrect. Please try the number or code and try again. Message 7. Switch 261".

If I forward my vonage number to the new ooma number it works good. If I call the google voice and have it forward it works good. I called Sprint and they tested it with a cell phone to call the ooma number and it came through fine. Weird. I had a friend with a cell phone on verizon call and it worked. It just won't work if I use mine or my wife's cell phone to call the ooma number directly.

I think I'll port my number from vonage to the ooma device and wipe the dust off my feet. My concern is if I do that and the problem continues to happen, now with the vonage number. I suspect it won't, but ... any thoughts?
#102088 by stormer
Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:29 pm
Same problem... with or without the 1 in front of the number. Also, I have 10 digit enabled... tried the *98 or *96 and it simply says "The feature code you entered is not valid". That would be silly anyway if people had to enter that in in order to get a hold of me. My guess is that the ooma telephone number is not recognized by Sprint. Currently, I am forwarding my vonage number and my google voice number to my ooma number and it works fine. No one even knows I have the ooma number yet. I am going to port the vonage number over after I give ooma a trial period. Thus far, happy with what I am getting for the price. Can't beat the small amount of taxes a month verses paying 30.00/month with vonage. We don't use our vonage phone enough to pay that amount per month. I think last month we had 76 minutes used? ha! I just thought I would contribute to this thread as I am having that weird problem of a phone company not being able to make a connection to a valid number. When I called Sprint, they didn't seem to be able to help. Blah, I'll just port my number over and be done with it all. I really don't care about the new ooma number anyway. =)
#102094 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:48 pm
stormer wrote:Same problem... with or without the 1 in front of the number. Also, I have 10 digit enabled... tried the *98 or *96 and it simply says "The feature code you entered is not valid". That would be silly anyway if people had to enter that in in order to get a hold of me. My guess is that the ooma telephone number is not recognized by Sprint. Currently, I am forwarding my vonage number and my google voice number to my ooma number and it works fine. No one even knows I have the ooma number yet. I am going to port the vonage number over after I give ooma a trial period. Thus far, happy with what I am getting for the price. Can't beat the small amount of taxes a month verses paying 30.00/month with vonage. We don't use our vonage phone enough to pay that amount per month. I think last month we had 76 minutes used? ha! I just thought I would contribute to this thread as I am having that weird problem of a phone company not being able to make a connection to a valid number. When I called Sprint, they didn't seem to be able to help. Blah, I'll just port my number over and be done with it all. I really don't care about the new ooma number anyway. =)

One other thing that you can do since you just joined Ooma. For the first two months you have a free trial of Ooma Premier. Part of the Ooma Premier is that you can go into My Ooma and add a second phone line.
You could add the second line and test calling that line number.

The other thing that Ooma users do, is have someone (or some people) that has a Sprint phone (that could be you) call sprint and and tell them that you can not reach a know working number (your Ooma number). Then Sprit has to check their phone number tables and make corrections and add your Ooma number to their routing tables. Contacting Ooma Customer Support and compaining to them also sometimes helps with this problem.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#102096 by stormer
Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:55 pm
I just found, via another post this GREAT url: http://tnid.us/. My ooma number does not come up in their database. It very well be a brand new ooma number that is not in the system? area code: 980-263-xxxx

It is not listed as a valid number extension which is probably why Sprint is having an issue? If I enter in my other numbers, it gives me some basic caller ID information on that number.
#102101 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm
stormer wrote:I just found, via another post this GREAT url: http://tnid.us/. My ooma number does not come up in their database. It very well be a brand new ooma number that is not in the system? area code: 980-263-xxxx

It is not listed as a valid number extension which is probably why Sprint is having an issue? If I enter in my other numbers, it gives me some basic caller ID information on that number.

It looks like you have your work cut out for yourself.
#102110 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:02 pm
stormer wrote:I just found, via another post this GREAT url: http://tnid.us/. My ooma number does not come up in their database. It very well be a brand new ooma number that is not in the system? area code: 980-263-xxxx

It just means tnid.us doesn't know about the new area code and prefix. Doesn't mean the number is no good. If Sprint can't place calls to your number, Sprint needs to correct some internal routing table on their side. You can (if you are a Sprint customer) call Sprint and complain that you can't reach a working number.