Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100521 by rmeden
Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 am
I'm coming up on one year of service, so now I'm being hit up for the $40/year extended warranty.

If I would buy a used Telo on eBay to have as a spare, would I have to pay $80 to "activate" it, since it's going onto an already activated account? I think so.

I guess I could buy a Telo from Woot! for $99 and not activate it for use as a spare, but how long can it sit idle w/o losing it's activation? (2.5 year break-even)

Generally, I prefer self-insuring and having spare parts around.... it's looking like Ooma wants $40/year no matter what.

What are others doing?

Robert
#100554 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:03 pm
rmeden wrote:Right, and the cheapest for that is about $100.... it would have to sit around for 2.5 years before it breaks even on the warranty.. *IF* you'll be able to activate something 3-4 purchased 3-4 years ago.

I would like to think that any Ooma product could be activated at any time in the future, as long as Ooma doesn't go out of business, which seems less likely every day.

I usually don't purchase extended warranties on products I buy. I did extend my Ooma Telo warranty for two years. But that was because I was having problems with the Ooma Telo at the time; and for making "fix" suggestions in this forum, I some times put the Ooma Telo though some "rough" paces, to be able to help others with their problems.

But for me, I'd just wait until my current Ooma Telo failed, instead of purchasing a backup Ooma Telo. Then I'd make a decision, after the failure.

If I bought a cheaper backup Ooma Telo now, just to put on the shelf, to put into service later, in case of a failure of my current Ooma Telo, and then there was an advanced Ooma Telo or some other advanced Ooma box, that came out later, that might have much better and more functions, and be a much more rugged design then the current Ooma Telo design, I might kicking my self later, wishing I'd spent the money on the later design box.
#100598 by GMOOMA
Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 pm
rmeden wrote:Right, and the cheapest for that is about $100.... it would have to sit around for 2.5 years before it breaks even on the warranty.. *IF* you'll be able to activate something 3-4 purchased 3-4 years ago.

On what do you base the monthly/yearly cost vs any other service?
Voip with a cable or telco begins at $20 a month with 500 minutes a month usage, unlimited plans are $30 and up..
3rd party voip companies start at about $15.. a few lower and a few more.. but YOU buy a sip voip device or it's "loaned" which you're on the hook for if you don't return it or inadvertantly damage/modify it's firmware.

IMO, the Ooma pays itself off in as early as 7 months and as late as 12-14 months..
Assuming Ooma premier is involved, then you could be closer to the 2 year rate based on the cheapest 3rd party voip services which YMMV based on alot of reviews. BTW, NEW ooma's have been gotten for $80 after sales, coupons, and stacked discounts from OfficeMax (in the last year.. a rare exception, $100+ is typical).
#100624 by rmeden
Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 pm
GMOOMA, I never said Ooma wasn't a good deal. Obviously I'm happy with it. There's nothing wrong with playing the game the best my hand allows.

Thunderbird has a good point... if the Ooma should die, I could just take the outage and get whatever is current. A Telo with a true second line would be nice! With premier the calls can roll to my mobile, and since we're probably about to get unlimited minutes, home phone usage by the kids may drop soon anyway.

Robert