Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100512 by tbeltz
Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am
Has anyone had any luck getting a particular number assigned to a new Telo. It is I believe one of Ooma's number groups. I have called the number and get recording garbage which is most likely put out by Ooma. Have talked to support and all they will tell me is to go to the activation site and pick a number from there, they can do nothing else.

May seem stupid but I have several units and am trying to keep track of them with a number coding of my own. All others have fell into shape but the last one I have not yet activated and would like to do so with a particular number.

Any thoughts??
#100513 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:15 am
If Ooma's number to assign, it would show up in the list to pick. If not, probably not for Ooma to assign.

The numbers you can choose from belong to Ooma's carrier but Ooma doesn't have access to all of them but rather a subset.

http://tnid.us can give you carrier info.
#100519 by tbeltz
Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 am
Thanks for the info and link. Got one other question which may assist in doing what I need.

When a number is picked in a particular area code, does it really make any difference which town you pick it in?? With Ooma aren't calls within the same area code able to call and be called within that Area code by the 7 digit dialing without having to use the 1 or the area code??

What is the advantage of picking a particular town?? Why even worry about that?? Does it really make any difference??

Thanks Again.
#100522 by murphy
Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:59 am
You can call anyone that you want to for free.
People calling you from landline phones will have to pay toll charges if the number that you pick is not in their free calling area.
The free calling area for a landline phone does not include all of the exchanges in an area code.
You need to pick a number that is in an exchange that most of your callers have as part of their local calling area.
#100525 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 am
murphy is right, you don't have to worry about paying domestic long distance toll but your callers might. Look at this thread about "how to pick a local number" viewtopic.php?t=13996
#100530 by tbeltz
Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm
Great Information and Link. Thank You to both.