Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#100457 by nanettega
Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am
I've had by Telo since February 2012 and no problems until a month ago. It seems the Telo is constantly losing internet connection and rebooting itself. However, after it reboots, I cannot make or receive calls.

My setup: Modem - Ooma - Router

What I've done so far:

1) Reboot the entire system - unplug modem, ooma & router and then bring each device back up one at a time. Will be able to make a call but in about five minutes, the ooma symbol turns red and reboots. Can no longer receive/make calls after it reboots. However, even though the phone is not working, I can still access the internet.

2) Called Customer Service:
a) Did another reboot of system and same result as number #1 above
b) Tested my internet connection (was fine)
c) Plugged Ooma into different outlet but problem persisted
d) Was send a new Ooma Telo and received it Monday

3) New Ooma Telo is having the same problems...this tells me the problem is not with the actual Ooma device. Since Monday I have:
a) Did a Factory Reset - Phone worked then then "rebooted" and could not make/receive calls again.
b) Changed Internet Port MAC Address to "Use Built In" (note: Use Built In MAC address is the same as the "Automatic") - Phone worked then then "rebooted" and could not make/receive calls again.
c) Changed Connection Type of Dynamic - Phone worked then then "rebooted" and could not make/receive calls again.
d) Performed the PhonePower test and results indicate VOIP service is good/high quality

In the short time it took me to type this message, my Ooma has "rebooted" three times. I have no idea what to do next. I've made no changes to my system or internet provider and don't understand why this problem just started basically overnight.

Thanks,
Nanette
#100458 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 am
nanettega:
Some suggestions to try:

When you received your replacement Ooma Telo, was the Ooma Telo power adapter replaced at the same time. If not, the Ooma Telo power adapter is an item to replace next.

Try temporarily just a Modem-Ooma Telo-Computer connection, with your Router disconnected and unpowered.

Make sure the Ooma Telo is located at least three feet from all other electrical and electronic devices. Try moving the Ooma Telo to another location in your home, plugging the power adapter into a different wall power receptacle.

Try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma.
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

If one of the suggestions above doen't fix the problem, post what is happening, and more suggestions will follow.
#100500 by slt8035
Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 am
We have had the exact same problem at our home for about the same amount of time. We have done much of the same things that you have done, except our OOma hub was 3 years old, so we went and bought a new OOma Telo only to have the same issue. We have had a tech out from the internet provider to check all the equipment and lines to see if there is an issue with the modem or internet itself, but nothing we have done has resolved the issues. We have had OOma for 3 years without ever having any issues until now. We have replaced the wiring, moved the router, rewired, regrouped and restarted everything over and over to not resolve the issue. We have called numerous times to OOma and they have been very helpful, but we still can't seem to make anyone there understand that it is not our internet connections, service or router and not our OOma device with the problem....something hinky is happening somewhere on the OOma end. We even took it to another location (twice) and both times with two different internet service providers, we have had the same result. We get the dialtone, we can make the call, then NOTHING happens...no ring through, nothing. We are about at the end of our rope on knowing what to do. Additionally, it seems that right after the reboots happen....we might be able to make two calls or recieve one call only to have it stop making or taking calls after that. It's nice to know that we are not the only ones in this boat since we've felt a little like we were not smart enough to fix this. Somewhere along the line (after we hear the dial tone and hear the dialing happen), something is terribly wrong, but it seems no one has any answers. The one thing I definitely know is that the constant rebooting and outage is NOT related to my internet provider, set up, or equipment.....
#100526 by nanettega
Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am
Thunderbird,

Thank you for your quick response. Based on your message....

1) I called Ooma Customer Service and they had me change the Upstream Internet Speed to 780 on the Setup Page's Advanced Tab. After rebooting the Modem-Ooma- Router I was able to make one call. After getting off the call with them, I could not make another call (same problem..hear the number being dialed and then silence). I told them it was suggested I have them send me another power adapter but that was not in their list of solutions to the possible problem. Frankly, I've called them so much and am tired of having to go through all the steps each time I call.

2) Removed the router and just used the Modem-Ooma. No change...problem continued.

3) Moved the Ooma away from other electronic devices and plugged into a different wall plug. No change...problem continued

4) Changed the setup to Modem-Router-Ooma. Ooma never connected to the internet (for 10 minutes it just stayed on the blinking red Ooma symbol).

Like SLT8035, I noticed that after the Ooma reboots itself (which it does about every 5-10 minutes), I can make one outgoing call and that is it. I'm moving next week and was also going to try the phone with my new internet provider but after SLT8035's experience doing the same thing, I'm not optimistic my problem will be solved.

I noticed that a new software version was released in mid-to late August which is right around the same time my problems started. Could there be a software issue with the phone?????
#100528 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 am
nanettega wrote:Thunderbird,

Thank you for your quick response. Based on your message....

1) I called Ooma Customer Service and they had me change the Upstream Internet Speed to 780 on the Setup Page's Advanced Tab. After rebooting the Modem-Ooma- Router I was able to make one call. After getting off the call with them, I could not make another call (same problem..hear the number being dialed and then silence). I told them it was suggested I have them send me another power adapter but that was not in their list of solutions to the possible problem. Frankly, I've called them so much and am tired of having to go through all the steps each time I call.

2) Removed the router and just used the Modem-Ooma. No change...problem continued.

3) Moved the Ooma away from other electronic devices and plugged into a different wall plug. No change...problem continued

4) Changed the setup to Modem-Router-Ooma. Ooma never connected to the internet (for 10 minutes it just stayed on the blinking red Ooma symbol).

Like SLT8035, I noticed that after the Ooma reboots itself (which it does about every 5-10 minutes), I can make one outgoing call and that is it. I'm moving next week and was also going to try the phone with my new internet provider but after SLT8035's experience doing the same thing, I'm not optimistic my problem will be solved.

I noticed that a new software version was released in mid-to late August which is right around the same time my problems started. Could there be a software issue with the phone?????

Yes the problem could be the new Firmware. I see where some people have contacted Ooma Customer Support and had the Firmware update rolled back. That may be your solution. If you do this, you have to ask for a third or fouth level support person.

If you decide to roll back the Ooma Telo Firmware update, be sure to post here, how it worked out.

You could try this also:
I was looking at some old information and this seemed to help some people then:
Dial *82 before the number being called (Send outgoing caller-id for this phone call, & For dialling 8xx & 9xx numbers) Example: *82-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
#100529 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 pm
slt8035:
I was looking at some old information and this seemed to help some people then:
Dial *82 before the number being called (Send outgoing caller-id for this phone call, & For dialling 8xx & 9xx numbers) Example: *82-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Your problem is probably a routing problem. To correct that problem, you have to ask for a third or fouth level Ooma support person.

Let the forum know how it worked out.
#100744 by slt8035
Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:53 am
Thanks for the response. I tried the *82 thing and that didn't work for me. I just cannot make this product work for me the way it used to. In addition, I will tell you that our problems likely started much earlier than we realized because we were travelling for much of the month of August/September and would not have noticed. I will call for service once again and discuss what you suggest about rolling back the update to see if that helps. I will let you all know.
#100925 by thunderbird
Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 am
nanettega wrote:I moved last week and set up Ooma on my new internet service provider and it is working! No idea why..

You probably have a better Internet signal and/or different routing, which corrected the problem.