Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#99824 by oomakucool
Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm
I use my ooma After router without done anything because it seems good to me already. I am just curious why or what is the advantage or benefit I would get if I do the "extended/ modify" the qos setting thing? Is the voice will be much better? Or I would get "something" that I don't have it on this straight forward connection? Is that mean my setting now is not "optimum"; this "optimum" word is tickle me. Thx in advance.
#99825 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:31 pm
The way you have it, connected to the router, should work fine without you doing anything.

However, doing a few things would "optimize" your setup.

Since you are connected to the router, you should have your router do the QoS and give your Ooma the highest priority.

You should change the Ooma device to use the built in Modem port MAC address to avoid future problems (you may plug a device into the Home Network port in the future so you may run into network conflict situation in the future if you don't).

Since your Ooma is not ahead of any network component, you should disable QoS within Ooma. This "disabling" is not really needed unless you plug a computer into the home network port, your upload on that computer would be limited if you don't disable Ooma QoS.

Since you won't have a computer connected to Ooma, you should do the port 80 forward while you have one connected temporarily so you can get to the Ooma device setup page in the future more easily.

Here is the "optimal" setup for after router: viewtopic.php?t=12403