Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#99488 by jjlfour
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:06 am
My Ooma has been working fine for 2 years. Now all of the sudden, I cannot use any phone plugged into a wall jack because line one will not hang up. However, I can continue to use my Ooma handset on line 1. I have rebooted the Ooma, unplugged all phones, Directv receivers, etc. from every wall jack. But this has solved nothing. When I unplug the line from the back of the Ooma and plug it back in, line 1 lights up on the Ooma device and stays lit for about 30 seconds. I can actually get a dial tone while it's lit. But, once Line 1 is no longer lit, all phones plugged into a wall jack no longer work.
#99489 by murphy
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:16 am
Does Ooma work if you plug a phone directly into the Ooma Phone jack?
If it does, that would indicate a wiring problem somewhere in your house or a little used phone that is off hook.
#99491 by jjlfour
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 am
It works fine if I plug a phone directly into the Ooma. I agree that this would indicate a wiring problem in the house. But, the wiring in my house has not changed, and all phones in the house have been working fine until now. I am wondering if there is some kind of voltage issue with the Ooma jack, causing it to work fine with only 1 phone plugged into it, but not working accross all jacks.
#99496 by murphy
Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:09 am
How many phones do you have plugged in and what is the sum of the REN (Ringer Equivalency Number) values for all of the phones? The total REN value can't exceed 5.
It's usually not a problem for modern phones which have very low REN values but older syyle desk and wall phones can have high REN numbers.
#99500 by jjlfour
Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:21 am
I have 3 old style bell south phones that are about 15 years old, one wireless phone, and 3 directv receivers plugged in. All have been working fine for the last 2 years. Right now, I have unplugged everything from every wall jack, but the first phone I plug back any wall jack doesn't work.
#99510 by thunderbird
Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:24 pm
jjlfour wrote:My Ooma has been working fine for 2 years. Now all of the sudden, I cannot use any phone plugged into a wall jack because line one will not hang up. However, I can continue to use my Ooma handset on line 1. I have rebooted the Ooma, unplugged all phones, Directv receivers, etc. from every wall jack. But this has solved nothing. When I unplug the line from the back of the Ooma and plug it back in, line 1 lights up on the Ooma device and stays lit for about 30 seconds. I can actually get a dial tone while it's lit. But, once Line 1 is no longer lit, all phones plugged into a wall jack no longer work.

Go arount to each of your house wall jacks, nearest one to Ooma first, and carefully remove the wall jack from the wall.

While you are looking at the back of the wall jack, look for problems, like conductor shielding (if present) touching one of the terminal wire, etc.

Carefully tighten each terminal screw or nut, that has wires on it, just a little more until just snug.

Each time you check a wall jack, test with the phone to see if the problem has been corrected.
#99512 by BBM3
Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:43 pm
jjlfour wrote:yes - my Ooma is connect directly to the wire going into the house using a double female connector.

It sounds like you are still connected to the incoming line.
If so disconnecting the incoming line(s) should solve your problem.
Attachments
(32.83 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
#99513 by jjlfour
Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:13 pm
The imcoming line has been disconnected from the beginning. I have totally by-passed the NIB. The line coming out of the NIB has been cut. I have connected the Ooma phone jack to the wire going into the house using a double female connector. That set up has worked great for 2 years. Nothing in the house has changed. I have disconnected every phone in the house and have taken a phone and tried it at every jack. At every jack, I get the "phone off the hook" sound.