Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#99213 by LBarouf
Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:38 pm
Hello,

Got a few questions. I've registered an Ooma Telo with a Canadian number. I have a US Google Voice number. When trying to follow the instruction on how to set-up the GVE, I cannot select the second line or number I chose as the "virtual number", the list of usable numbers is empty. Is it because it's not a US number? If not, please kindly let me know how I can try GVE. I am currently trialing the premium service as I just purchased the box, is it only open to full premium membership maybe :?:

Voice-to-text... I see a banner claiming I can try it for free. But I need to add to cart at a fee, what goes? Also, is this a one time fee, monthly, yearly or what frequency fee :?:

Last question is about porting. If all goes well, I'd like to kiss MagicCrap/MagicCrap Plus goodbye. Can I port the number I have used with them to Ooma? I believe there are numbers that cannot be ported as per LNP rules/guidelines at CRTC (the canadian equivalent of the FCC I believe). Pagers and VoIP are 2 of them if I'm correct. If anyone tried before or if anyone can confirm. If not, and want to try, do I get refunded if the port is not successful?

Thanks in advance for any answer that may help me!

P.S: one comment, the iOS/android app should be free. I am unsure if I buy since I can't even try it prior. I somehow doubt of the voice quality, even if you claim the "HD" quality (that's G711 codec right? and can only work between mobile users I'd guess)

:?:
#99317 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm
LBarouf wrote:Got a few questions. I've registered an Ooma Telo with a Canadian number. I have a US Google Voice number. When trying to follow the instruction on how to set-up the GVE, I cannot select the second line or number I chose as the "virtual number", the list of usable numbers is empty. Is it because it's not a US number? If not, please kindly let me know how I can try GVE. I am currently trialing the premium service as I just purchased the box, is it only open to full premium membership maybe :?:

Trial membership shouldn't be limiting so that's not the issue. Sounds like you already assigned a 2nd number to your Ooma; this is the only requirement for the GVE to work. Not sure what's going on with US vs Canada number topic. On a side note, are you able to add your Canadian Ooma number to your Google Voice account?

LBarouf wrote:Voice-to-text... I see a banner claiming I can try it for free. But I need to add to cart at a fee, what goes? Also, is this a one time fee, monthly, yearly or what frequency fee :?:

It is a monthly fee (1st month free if you choose the basic trasacription package).

LBarouf wrote:Last question is about porting. If all goes well, I'd like to kiss MagicCrap/MagicCrap Plus goodbye. Can I port the number I have used with them to Ooma? I believe there are numbers that cannot be ported as per LNP rules/guidelines at CRTC (the canadian equivalent of the FCC I believe). Pagers and VoIP are 2 of them if I'm correct. If anyone tried before or if anyone can confirm. If not, and want to try, do I get refunded if the port is not successful?

In the US, pager numbers are not portable but VoIP numbers are okay. Not sure about Canada. I will be surprised if they are different. I think refund will happen if Ooma finds out the number is not portable.

LBarouf wrote:P.S: one comment, the iOS/android app should be free. I am unsure if I buy since I can't even try it prior. I somehow doubt of the voice quality, even if you claim the "HD" quality (that's G711 codec right? and can only work between mobile users I'd guess)

Ooma to Ooma calls are free so you can enjoy HD if calling other Ooma subscribers with Telo handset. I think Ooma still uses iLBC codec but using more bandwidth with HD.
#99521 by LBarouf
Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm
thanks lbmofo.

1. Nope, it won't let me. It says country of the forwarding phone does not match. It's still strange that the Telo won't let me even try.

2. ok thanks, I would have to order to get the first month free I guess.

3. I tried to port my MagicJack to my cell to no avail.

4. The iOS client did use iLBC indeed for a call to a PSTN. I don't have anyone else to try with to see the G.711 in action. The mobile client is terrible by the way, it's unusable I find. Sorry....
#99786 by lbmofo
Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:55 pm
LBarouf wrote:1. Nope, it won't let me. It says country of the forwarding phone does not match. It's still strange that the Telo won't let me even try.

I think the fix is to change your 2nd Ooma number to a US number.

LBarouf wrote:3. I tried to port my MagicJack to my cell to no avail.

I think that's because of MagicJack.

LBarouf wrote:4. The iOS client did use iLBC indeed for a call to a PSTN. I don't have anyone else to try with to see the G.711 in action. The mobile client is terrible by the way, it's unusable I find. Sorry....

Not sure what codec is Ooma's HD. Hear that Apps in general are buggy on Android because so many flavors of hardware.