Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#98653 by zamboknee
Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:11 am
So my ooma is working fine but internet is not. WiFi is fine too.
Basically I have dial tone and can make calls but I can't get on the internet.
Here's my chain....
Modem into Ooma, Ooma into router, router shoots out WiFi.
All lights look good (ooma is all blue, modem looks good, router is color it's supposed to be) so I can't figure out why no internet.
#98655 by lbmofo
Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 am
In this case, likely power cycling every thing will work. Turn off both Ooma and Router (and everything connected hardwired to the router), power up Ooma first, once all blue, then turn on the router. Once router is on the internet (tell by status light) then power up everything connected to the router.

Do the "Built In MAC Address" thing on the setup.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
#98659 by Shawn
Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:18 pm
It could be your DNS server is not working therefor you cannot connect to any sites. Ooma has it own DNS so the phone service is not affected.
#98673 by zamboknee
Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:25 pm
lbmofo wrote:In this case, likely power cycling every thing will work. Turn off both Ooma and Router (and everything connected hardwired to the router), power up Ooma first, once all blue, then turn on the router. Once router is on the internet (tell by status light) then power up everything connected to the router.

I've power cycle before but the problem came back but I tried using the order you've suggested AND the 'use MAC suggested' setting. We'll see if that works. Til then, where do I find my DNS server settings? Is that found in router or Ooma settings?
#98682 by Shawn
Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:25 am
There are two places to find the non Ooma DNS setting.
1) Router - should be under the wan setting. You can try: Google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or Open DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 .
2) In your PC : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... SignedIn=1

If you have not been able to access internet from your PC since around July 9 or so this year, you might be infected by DNS Changer malware. FBI shutdown their server that time and if you were infected, you won't be able to get to the internet.
#98697 by Dr. Zoltar
Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:49 pm
I know I'm not adding to the solution, but this same thing is happening to me. It happened right after what I assume was an Ooma software update. I typically have all the lights turned off on my Ooma. Friday morning they were on which is indicative of a software update being pushed to my Ooma Telo device.

Ever since then, internet has been spotty for me. My wifi router is working fine and the Telo unit works fine. But my internet connectivity goes on and off throughout the day. If I take my Telo unit out of the equation, everything works fine.

I hope there is a fix soon. I'm not too thrilled with a forced upgrade that is now a degradation of service.
#98702 by zamboknee
Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 am
Dr. Zoltar wrote:I know I'm not adding to the solution, but this same thing is happening to me. It happened right after what I assume was an Ooma software update. I typically have all the lights turned off on my Ooma. Friday morning they were on which is indicative of a software update being pushed to my Ooma Telo device.

Ever since then, internet has been spotty for me. My wifi router is working fine and the Telo unit works fine. But my internet connectivity goes on and off throughout the day. If I take my Telo unit out of the equation, everything works fine.

I hope there is a fix soon. I'm not too thrilled with a forced upgrade that is now a degradation of service.

I would try "lbmofo" suggestion of
In this case, likely power cycling every thing will work. Turn off both Ooma and Router (and everything connected hardwired to the router), power up Ooma first, once all blue, then turn on the router. Once router is on the internet (tell by status light) then power up everything connected to the router.

And check out the links he posted (especially the 'built in MAC Address' part) as this seems to have resolved the issue for me.
#99102 by Dr. Zoltar
Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:11 pm
Well I tried your changes and even reset the Ooma to factory settings. It worked great for about a week. But now it's dropping internet again. I'm thinking it has to do with the latest software update.

I see that there was a post on Aug 13th that there is a delay in getting the most recent update out by Ooma. I hope this happens soon. In the meantime I have to disconnect my Ooma and live without phone service in order to use internet.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14155
#99107 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:04 pm
Dr. Zoltar wrote:Well I tried your changes and even reset the Ooma to factory settings. It worked great for about a week. But now it's dropping internet again. I'm thinking it has to do with the latest software update.

I see that there was a post on Aug 13th that there is a delay in getting the most recent update out by Ooma. I hope this happens soon. In the meantime I have to disconnect my Ooma and live without phone service in order to use internet.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14155

First:
Have you tried connecting your setup Modem-Router-Ooma.

In this case nothing is connected to the Ooma Tello Home Port, and the Ooma Setup Advanced page Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbsp):, both are set to zero.

Next:
Also there is a good chance that your Modem is malfunctioning. Check your Modem Manufacture's owner's manual and see if there is a Reset procedure. If so, do do the Reset procedure or a Modem Reboot.

Note: Some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Reset or Reboot.

If the problem continues, try another Modem.