Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#8439 by Pandora
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:10 pm
I know with a cell phone, you have 911 access even without a service plan. I'm not certain if 911 works on a disconnected landline, but if our government had any common sense it would.

I'm wondering if Ooma uses a free form of 911 (without paying a fee) as cell companies do for those who aren't on a plan? I'm assuming 911 doesn't care if we are paying for 911 or not.

If anyone has a thought on this, or some insight, it would be appreciated.
#8527 by rajeev_mahajan
Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:24 am
Luckily, there hasn't been a need to call up 911, but I do believe that it is included and it's free. You need to ensure that the user profile is updated to reflect the current address. You might want to do a search for the actual coverage details though.
#8529 by WayneDsr
Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:29 am
According to a few on this site, it has been tested and works, as long as your personal info is correct.
If you need to test yours, call your local police and set up a time for a test. (they usually will tell you to call right away)
Then dial 911 and test. They will tell you what their Caller ID says.

Wayne
#8860 by lohertz
Fri May 01, 2009 6:31 pm
I would think that if the hub is functional, and there was an internet connection, you could make calls, unless the device was unregistered at the parent server level. At which point, i would think the device would NOT be able to connect because of the secure VPN connection required for the hub to work.