Mystery MAC and second IP address

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mbrussell
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am

Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by mbrussell » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 am

Hi -

I have my OOMA Telo connected to my Cisco e3000 running Tomato Firmware v1.28.7493 MIPSR2-Toastman-RT K26 USB Ext. I utilize QOS and bandwidth limiting on my router to assure that my OOMA and streaming video devices are not starved of bandwidth.

My OOMA is set to acquire a reserved IP address from the router so I can classify it. I noticed that I had a DHCP'ed address on my router that I didn't recognize and finally determined that it is coming from my OOMA. My OOMA is acquiring two IP addresses from the Cisco router. I can't seem to find anything via Google to tell me why this is happening.

Here are the MAC prefixes that the OOMA is presenting to the Cisco.

88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD
001861 (base 16) Ooma, Inc.

Both are currently obtaining reserved DHCP addresses from the router. I am not having any problems with the OOMA. It is working flawlessly. I am just curious as to why it gets two IP addresses and has a second undocumented MAC.

Thanks,
Brad

mbrussell
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by mbrussell » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:36 am

I should also state that the only MAC that utilizes any bandwidth is the non-OOMA MAC.

88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD

The advertised OOMA MAC only seems to do anything during OOMA boot.

I assume this is all normal. I just wonder why it's not documented anywhere that I can find. This would probably be useful to people that are having call quality issues due to bandwidth, since they may be running QOS for the MAC that is not really used in operation of the OOMA.

Thoughts?

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am

The "To Internet Port" MAC address of Ooma is 1 higher than what's printed on the bottom of the Ooma device.

The MAC on the bottom of the Ooma device is the "To Home Network" port.

Also, make sure you go into the http://setup.ooma.com and use "Built In" MAC address (INTERNET Port MAC Address).
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 am

mbrussell:
In your router block 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD.

See if your Ooma Telo boots, "sees" the Internet, and works properly with 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD blocked.

Next test your laptop and see if it "sees" the Internet with 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD blocked.

User avatar
highq
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:11 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by highq » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:42 pm

mbrussell wrote: My OOMA is set to acquire a reserved IP address from the router so I can classify it. I noticed that I had a DHCP'ed address on my router that I didn't recognize and finally determined that it is coming from my OOMA. My OOMA is acquiring two IP addresses from the Cisco router. I can't seem to find anything via Google to tell me why this is happening.

Here are the MAC prefixes that the OOMA is presenting to the Cisco.

88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD
001861 (base 16) Ooma, Inc.

Both are currently obtaining reserved DHCP addresses from the router. I am not having any problems with the OOMA. It is working flawlessly. I am just curious as to why it gets two IP addresses and has a second undocumented MAC.
Nothing gets a Reserved address automatically. You have to do the reserving.

And that 88ae1d address has absolutely zilch to do with Ooma. It's some other hardware connected to the Cisco. Trace the cables plugged into Cisco, skip the one to the Ooma, and what else is connected?

murphy
Posts: 7208
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by murphy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Do you have something connected to the Ooma Home port?
Did you configure Ooma to use its builtin MAC address?
If you didn't it will spoof the MAC address of whatever is connected to the Home port.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mbrussell
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by mbrussell » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:08 pm

highq wrote:
mbrussell wrote: My OOMA is set to acquire a reserved IP address from the router so I can classify it. I noticed that I had a DHCP'ed address on my router that I didn't recognize and finally determined that it is coming from my OOMA. My OOMA is acquiring two IP addresses from the Cisco router. I can't seem to find anything via Google to tell me why this is happening.

Here are the MAC prefixes that the OOMA is presenting to the Cisco.

88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD
001861 (base 16) Ooma, Inc.

Both are currently obtaining reserved DHCP addresses from the router. I am not having any problems with the OOMA. It is working flawlessly. I am just curious as to why it gets two IP addresses and has a second undocumented MAC.
Nothing gets a Reserved address automatically. You have to do the reserving.

And that 88ae1d address has absolutely zilch to do with Ooma. It's some other hardware connected to the Cisco. Trace the cables plugged into Cisco, skip the one to the Ooma, and what else is connected?
I didn't say that it got a reserved address automatically. I reserved an address for it once I discovered it, because addresses from my DHCP pool get the lowest priority on my router.

Based on testing recommended by others here, I have shown that the 88ae1d MAC is in fact the OOMA. I suspect that it's from the manufacturer of the network hardware that OOMA use, and that they (OOMA) apply their own MAC address to the device as well. I'm not sure why my router firmware see it and others do not. Maybe someone else that uses Tomato USB can see it of their routers as well.

mbrussell
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by mbrussell » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:25 pm

thunderbird wrote:mbrussell:
In your router block 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD.

See if your Ooma Telo boots, "sees" the Internet, and works properly with 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD blocked.

Next test your laptop and see if it "sees" the Internet with 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD blocked.
I did some testing and discovered that the 88AE1D (base 16) COMPAL INFORMATION(KUNSHAN)CO.,LTD. is the OOMA. I disconnected everything else from the router, rebooted the router and the OOMA and still saw the address. This address, as well as the OOMA MAC both get an IP address from the router. The OOMA MAC does not appear to have any traffic, but the COMPAL MAC does. It is the one that actually uses the bandwidth, both when the OOMA is idle and when on a call. Obviously, the bandwidth use increases when on a call.

I blocked the COMPAL MAC and the OOMA did not work. I was not able to make or receive calls. All other devices were able to access the internet as usual.

iptables --list | grep 88:AE:1D:xx:xx:xx
DROP all -- anywhere anywhere MAC 88:AE:1D:xx:xx:xx

It seems that COMPAL is probably the manufacturer of the network hardware that the OOMA uses, and that OOMA apply their own MAC to the device as well.

I have never changed anything in the OOMA setup screen. I just plugged it in when I got it and it worked out of the box (a good thing).

I'm not sure why my router firmware sees both, but I'm glad it does. Maybe someone else with Tomato USB can see it on their router as well.

Thanks for the advice.
Brad

thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by thunderbird » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:19 pm

mbrussell:
And when you did this testing, nothing was connected to the Ooma Telo Home port?

mbrussell
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 am

Re: Mystery MAC and second IP address

Post by mbrussell » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:29 pm

thunderbird wrote:mbrussell:
And when you did this testing, nothing was connected to the Ooma Telo Home port?
Nope! I don't connect anything to it. It connects to my router along with everything else. I am not using it as a router.

Post Reply