Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#98328 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 pm
thunderbird wrote:
woodbutcher wrote:Thunderbird, I entered *99. That didn't change anything, though.
Butch

Could you enter Star, Star 99, (**99)?

What does double * do? I get a busy signal when I do that.
#98330 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 pm
lbmofo wrote:
thunderbird wrote:
woodbutcher wrote:Thunderbird, I entered *99. That didn't change anything, though.
Butch

Could you enter Star, Star 99, (**99)?

What does double * do? I get a busy signal when I do that.

My Dish box will dial out with a double star in front of the prefix number.

woodbutcher: In the past some people have said that connecting a DSL Filter (even if you don't use DSL) in the phone line to the Dish box, along with the *99 prefix will help. Also some people have said that connecting the DSL filter in the reverse direction helped.

Question: Were you able to recently order movies with your old phone service?
#98342 by woodbutcher
Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:46 am
I'll give the double star a try, thanks. Strangely enough, the On Demand movie I was trying to rent has now been offered on Pay-per-View, and I am able to order it online. But if the double star will take enough time to let the system hear the dial tone, that will make it possible to order with the remote.
Butch
#98356 by woodbutcher
Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:48 pm
No luck with the **99. It still won't dial out. Yes, I was able to rent movies through the dish box when we had SWBell phone. I'll check into the dsl filter.
Butch
#98358 by lbmofo
Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:05 pm
Do *99 with 1 star instead and see if you can do "send data."
#98377 by woodbutcher
Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:38 am
I'll give that a try. I don't remember seeing "send data" as a choice anywhere in the menu, but I'll look for it. By the way, when I go through the phone setup in the Dish menu, the diagnostics show a proper phone connection. But when I try to make it dial out to order, a window pops up that says there is no dial tone.
Butch
#98378 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 am
woodbutcher wrote:I'll give that a try. I don't remember seeing "send data" as a choice anywhere in the menu, but I'll look for it. By the way, when I go through the phone setup in the Dish menu, the diagnostics show a proper phone connection. But when I try to make it dial out to order, a window pops up that says there is no dial tone.
Butch

The Dish box has to have dial tone before a number can be dialed.

You need to still need to use *99 for the prefix, but you must have dial tone first.

For testing, try connecting a phone cord directly from the Ooma device phone port to the Dish box, if possible.

Maybe your Internet signal is "dirty". Try rebooting or reseting your Modem, reference your Modem manufacture's owner's manual. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem reboot or reset.
Maybe this is why some people use the DSL filter?

Maybe you need to use a four conductor phone cord?