Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#97788 by antmen
Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 am
I have been very happy with the service thus far (a few days.) I have the main number working throughout our home (I have a master jack that I can feed anything into it without having to rewire at the NID,) and I bought the handset to assign it the Personal Number.

The problem? The base or dock or charging station (whatever you'd like to call it) is a pretty bad design. I could see that the contact pins were tiny and out of alignment, so it wasn't charging. I took it apart and fixed it, but unfortunately the surface area contact is so small that any miniscule movement of the handset while on the base will not allow it to charge (i.e., the blue light will not light up.) You have to stand it just right in order for it to work.

This is inherent in the design. It would work much better and allow for better tolerance if a greater surface contact area was used. I would return it, but unfortunately, the Handset is the only way to access certain features that we are enjoying at the moment. Very disappointed with the quality of the base. The handset, on the other hand, is a decent, quality phone.

-Anthony
#97794 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 am
antmen wrote:I have been very happy with the service thus far (a few days.) I have the main number working throughout our home (I have a master jack that I can feed anything into it without having to rewire at the NID,) and I bought the handset to assign it the Personal Number.

The problem? The base or dock or charging station (whatever you'd like to call it) is a pretty bad design. I could see that the contact pins were tiny and out of alignment, so it wasn't charging. I took it apart and fixed it, but unfortunately the surface area contact is so small that any miniscule movement of the handset while on the base will not allow it to charge (i.e., the blue light will not light up.) You have to stand it just right in order for it to work.

This is inherent in the design. It would work much better and allow for better tolerance if a greater surface contact area was used. I would return it, but unfortunately, the Handset is the only way to access certain features that we are enjoying at the moment. Very disappointed with the quality of the base. The handset, on the other hand, is a decent, quality phone.

-Anthony

Something to keep in mind. The new replacement HD2 Ooma Telo handset is due to be released for general service this fall.
#97813 by antmen
Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:54 pm
I was wondering when the HD2 would come out. I thought it was supposed to be here by now. I hope that is a detail that they've improved upon. I'll wait then, before buying another one. Thanks.

In the meantime, I'll be looking to mod this base for better contact.

-Anthony
#97920 by antmen
Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:41 am
So, I've successfully modified/fixed the contacts on the Handset base/charger.

If anyone else is experiencing or has experienced the problem where the Handset base/charger's pins get stuck and don't spring back, then I'd be happy to snap and post pictures of what I did to fix mine. All you need is a Philips micro screwdiver and a nail clipper (or some sort of small crimping device.)

I'll be ordering another handset at a discount - maybe on eBay to see if this problem affects all Ooma Telo Handsets or just mine.

-Anthony
#98589 by antmen
Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:19 pm
UPDATE:
Like I said I was going to do, I just received another Handset I purchased on eBay (from this auction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/310417155128) and it arrived today.

I made a video of how I repaired it. In the end, now I have another "new" handset that I paid about $20 for. I hope this helps some here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQVGmguIA9w

-Anthony