Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#97648 by thuy_pham
Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 pm
Hello,

I have an Ooma Hub that I bought and used since May 2010 without any problems. For the past few days, the Ooma Hub has stopped working at all. When I plug an ethernet cable to the Modem port, there is no blinking green and orange light below the Modem port at all. On the front, there are four red light on the #1, #2, the trash icon and the voice mail icon. I connected my computer to the Home port and was able to connect to the Ooma Hub device throught http://setup.ooma.com.

The Ooma Hub seems to unable to recognize any connection from the Modem port at all. I don't think there is a problem with my network since I borrowed my sister's Ooma and it works fine with my connection. On top of that, I have not changed any setting with my network.

My question is anybody has experienced this problem before? is there a way to fix it? or the hardware is broken and I just have to buy a new Ooma device. I am a bit mad that device is broken after 24 months of service. I was hoping that it would last around 5 years or so. Please let me know
#97649 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 pm
Doesn't sound good since you say that the Modem port lights don't blink.

In any case, try a few things first. Switch to a different ethernet cable? Switch to different LAN port on the router?

If you haven't already, power cycle everything in your network by powering off everything then get modem up first (wait until online) then router (wait until online), then Ooma (I am guessing your Ooma is connected to router LAN port?)

You can also try Hub factory reset and see: viewtopic.php?t=13645#p95203
#97671 by thuy_pham
Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 am
Hello,

I have did all the switching of ethernet cable, LAN port, reset and everything else. Also, I just did the manufacture reset on the Oooma and still no light comes up on the Modem port. However, if I connected to the Home port, the light will turn green and I can connect to setup.ooma.com without any problems. I guess the hardware is ruin. The question now is, does anybody know where I can fix Ooma for cheap price? (no more than $50 repair fee)

Also, the Ooma Scout I have is still working fine. If I buy the Ooma Telo, will it work with the Ooma Scout? Please let me know.
#97672 by murphy
Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:13 am
thuy_pham wrote:Also, the Ooma Scout I have is still working fine. If I buy the Ooma Telo, will it work with the Ooma Scout? Please let me know.

No. The Scout only works with the hub.
#97673 by lbmofo
Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 am
No option to repair out there. Only option is to buy another device. Call Ooma customer support at 1-888-711-OOMA for options. Telo is on sale now direct from Ooma. If through friend referral, $150. If via rebate, $160.
#97674 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 am
thuy_pham:
Remove power from the Ooma Hub.
Temporarily remove all connections, all Network cable connections, all Phone cord connections, etc., remove all connected devices, cables and cords, except for the power cord connection.

Repower the Ooma Hub. See if the Ooma Hub will boot to the Red flashing Tab. If it does, Remove power from the Ooma Hub and connect a network cable from the Modem to the Ooma Hub Modem port. Repower the Ooma Hub and see if the Ooma Hub boots all of the way.
#97755 by thuy_pham
Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 pm
Hello thunderbird,

I did what u post. Still no light comes from the Modem port, and 4 red light on the Ooma (button 1, 2, the trash button, and voicemail button). I think the device is broken for sure now. I am just a bit disappointed that it only lasts for 2 years. Thank you for your help.
#97765 by thunderbird
Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:27 am
thuy_pham wrote:Hello thunderbird,

I did what u post. Still no light comes from the Modem port, and 4 red light on the Ooma (button 1, 2, the trash button, and voicemail button). I think the device is broken for sure now. I am just a bit disappointed that it only lasts for 2 years. Thank you for your help.

Look very carefully into the Ooma Hub Modem port. Look and see if the area where the network cable metal contacts the Modem port is bright and shiny. Make sure the contacts aren't bent or shoved to the side. If you see corrosion or dirt, try to clean the Modem port contacts. Also look at the Network cable (both ends) and see if you see any defects. Clean these areas with a cue tip, electronic contact cleaner, or alcohol.
#97842 by thuy_pham
Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 am
Hello,

I don't see any dirt in the Modem port. In fact, the two ports, Modem and Home, look the same to me, except the Modem port light won't turn on when plugged in. Also, my wife just mentions that the Ooma Hub stopped working when there was a thunderstorm a few weeks ago. I am not sure if the lightning has somehow affected the Ooma Hub, since all other network devices in the house is fine (included the modem, router, computer, etc...). Let me know
#97843 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 am
thuy_pham wrote:Hello,

I don't see any dirt in the Modem port. In fact, the two ports, Modem and Home, look the same to me, except the Modem port light won't turn on when plugged in. Also, my wife just mentions that the Ooma Hub stopped working when there was a thunderstorm a few weeks ago. I am not sure if the lightning has somehow affected the Ooma Hub, since all other network devices in the house is fine (included the modem, router, computer, etc...). Let me know

A lightening strike or power surge caused by a thunderstorm has been known to cause an Ooma device to fail.

I had an Ooma Telo that went through a thunderstorm last year. Or refrigerator and air-condioner had to have repairs as a result. The Ooma Telo wouldn't boot at first, but after a day or two, it just started working by itself. But it was never the same and eventually I had it exchanged under warranty. After that, even though I had the Ooma Telo plugged into a surge suppressor, I went out and purchased a better surge suppressor, just to be on the safe side.