Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#97092 by emawoman
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:00 pm
I'd like to port my landline # from AT&T. Called them today because DSL is on same account. Asked for dryloop DSL and still keeping landline # but removing long distance from it so have local calls with Caller ID and Call Waiting only.

Told I have to rewire the jack in my house that DSL comes in and make a second line for the DSL to have dryloop. If I cannot do the rewiring myself, AT&T will charge $199 for a tech to come to do it. On top of that, there'll be a charge of $49 to set up new dryloop acct. Was told jack with DSL incoming I use now needs rewired--it will be only jack in house to get DSL. Other jacks in house will not get DSL but will be able to get home phone. The one I use for DSL will not get home phone at all they tell me.

I chose a date next week for the changes from the one shared account to the two separate accts since at this moment I have no idea how to rewire that jack, but you can be sure I will NOT be paying $199 to them!

I know they are pushing U-verse which I do not want at all. I've tried in vain to find an alternate DSL provider but all the ones who do make you keep your home phone line. No one else does dryloop DSL this area--just one cable company as another broadband choice. Sad state of affairs in this country--monopolies and no competition.

So what I really want to know is: Is having two accounts enough or is that rewiring necessary? If we are dropping landline as soon as you port number why would it matter? (yes, I realize it may take a few weeks)

If I have to rewire, tell me how. I'm up for it.

Plus you ought to have a guide your chat reps can give your customers so they know all the ins and outs of getting away from AT&T.
#97110 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:24 pm
See if this post helps you: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10553&start=0#p73638

The above post is about DSL coming into the house on pair 1 (blue) so was telling the poster how to get it to come in the house on the 2nd pair (orange) so pair 1 can be used to distribute Ooma dialtone.

You have a bit of twist because you want the phone company to give you plain phone service on the 1st pair and turn on DSL on the 2nd pair at the NID box outside your house. Your blue pair should already be connected to the 1st screw terminal. If your 2nd pair is not connected to the 2nd terminal, you'd have to connect the orange pair to the the 2nd screw terminal (ring or orange to ring screw and tip or white-orange to tip screw).

Example NID with 2 sets of screw terminals (top terminal for the 1st pair where your blue pair should be connected and 2nd terminal for the 2nd pair where your orange pair should be connected):

This NID, the red screw is the ring and green screw is the tip. Only 1st pair is connected. The orange pair should be connected to the 2nd set of screw terminals (I think that's where your phone company will put the DSL signal)

Then, in the house, you just use one of them L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters, plug the modem into the L2 port and it should work. Then, the L1 port of the splitter and the rest of the house walljacks can be used for phone.

If you port your number to Ooma and don't need phone company dialtone anymore, just go out to the box and unplug the plug next to the 1st screw terminal and you would have disconnected your house's 1st pair from the phone company so you can distribute your Ooma dialtone on pair 1. The above example NID doesn't have a plug but rather a swing door so in this case, need to get the wires off the screw terminals (and connect them together blue to blue, white-blue to white-blue using butt connectors if more than 1 wire bunch going into the house). If you have one of these, just unplug the plug:

If you want to take your time and take a look at all there is to know about phone wiring etc, take a look at this: viewtopic.php?t=13354
#97138 by emawoman
Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:36 am
lbmofo, bless you for the explanation and the pictures to go along with it.

I will have to check my box outside. I know where it is because the phone company had to dig out our line in the backyard and replace it a few years ago.

I am keeping the landline for now, because, as I understand it, OOMA can port the number ONLY IF the landline is active AND the DSL on the old account has been separated from the landline account on a dryloop account. Once the dryloop is a go, I'll be porting the old landline number and using just the DSL and the OOMA. No need for the landline.

Thanks again, I'll post back on my progress.
#97156 by emawoman
Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:11 pm
I've had several calls from AT&T (automated) regarding my pending changes. When I put the order number in the website, it would not let me see what was being planned and indicated I would need to talk with someone.

Today I got a call from AT&T and was told they would have to have a tech come out and come into the house to check whether I have a signal. I told them no! I think they are going to try to charge me that 199.00 anyway. Plus I do not trust them that I will be keeping my DSL. I've had DSL with them for 6-7 years, did the intial modem and computer setup myself and needed no help from them, so I'll know if I have access if the current setup of modem, OOMA and router works and lets me get a computer online. I suspect they are going to put me on U-verse although I told the rep who set it up that I would go to cable before I would go to U-verse. Reason I suspect: The rep said I would have a $49 startup fee, asked if my modem was working OK, and mentioned I would be getting a welcome kit in the mail. Like why do I need a welcome kit if I am keeping the DSL I've had? When I went to their website and put in my address, it said DSL was not available for my address!

There was an article in the local paper recently about a woman who was forced into U-verse and charged over $300 despite her protests that she wanted to keep her DSL. The Watch Dog Reporter who wrote the story could not get a straight answer from AT&T as he talked to several people in the company.

My husband said that box on the outside of the house is AT&T's and has forbidden me to rewire it. I think he has a point there. I'm sure AT&T could accuse me of tampering with their equipment despite the fact that the rep told me I could rewire myself.

I may cancel the changes for now. Will update.
#97183 by emawoman
Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm
Got a self-installation kit that contained a data cable and an ethernet cable from AT&T today. Plus new Terms of Service that are definitely slanted in AT&T's favor. Called them to make sure it was not Uverse.

OK, been reading everything in Google to try to get this straight.

For the time being, I want the phone company to give me plain phone service on the 1st pair (at least until phone number can be ported) and turn on DSL on the 2nd pair at the NID box outside my house. Blue pair should already be connected to the 1st screw terminal. If 2nd pair is not connected to the 2nd terminal, I’d have to connect the orange pair to the the 2nd screw terminal (ring or orange to ring screw and tip or white-orange to tip screw).. The orange pair should be connected to the 2nd set of screw terminals (Think that's where phone company will put the DSL signal)

So, do I just twist the ends of orange and white wire separately clockwise around the terminals? Or do I need those Scotchlok thingies I saw online? Still not clear on exactly what I have to do in the outside box.

For inside jack where computer is located, I don’t have to open it up and unhook the blue and white wires or see if the orange and white are connected? I can just buy a L1, L2 etc splitter and plug it in and it will automatically just limit line 2 to the port that is labeled such?

Some other sites have said I would have to look at jacks in other rooms to see how they are wired. I can’t imagine that is really necessary.

So I should have dialtone on line 1 and nothing on line 2 after I connect everything? But after 8PM the day when DSL service in turned on, I can plug modem and computer in and get online, right?

Hate to go outside in this 102 degree heat to work on this. Wouldn’t you know the weather would have to be horrible!
#97184 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 pm
emawoman wrote:So, do I just twist the ends of orange and white wire separately clockwise around the terminals? Or do I need those Scotchlok thingies I saw online? Still not clear on exactly what I have to do in the outside box.

For the screw terminal connection type, you'd need to strip the wire sleeves to show metal leads so you can hook the metal leads to the screw terminals and then tighten the screws. However, your NID may not have screw terminals. Take a look at how the blue pair is connected to the top module and do the same for the orange pair. If the kind where you see wires inserted into holes, you don't need to even strip the sleeves.

emawoman wrote:For inside jack where computer is located, I don’t have to open it up and unhook the blue and white wires or see if the orange and white are connected? I can just buy a L1, L2 etc splitter and plug it in and it will automatically just limit line 2 to the port that is labeled such?

Yes, use L1 for phone and L2 for the modem.

emawoman wrote:Some other sites have said I would have to look at jacks in other rooms to see how they are wired. I can’t imagine that is really necessary.

If a walljack currently gets dialtone, that means it is wired for the 1st pair.

emawoman wrote:So I should have dialtone on line 1 and nothing on line 2 after I connect everything? But after 8PM the day when DSL service in turned on, I can plug modem and computer in and get online, right?

Follow self istallation procedure they sent you and activate modem, you should be good to go then.
#97188 by emawoman
Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm
Just looked inside the NID box. I have a cable with six-strand wire and two sets of red and green terminals. Green wire to lower green and red wire to lower red. I have blue and white wires unused and black and yellow wires also. So I assume I can hook either set of them to the unused upper terminals. It looks like I could just strip some of the outer covering and wrap them around the upper screws the way the red and green wires are.

Understand I should leave a receiver off the hook so no phone calls can come through when I handle the wires.

Basically, I need to do the following steps. Please verify to make sure I got it right.

Steps:
1. Unplug the phone line from the jack in the NID. Hubby and I did not notice it when we looked, but I know there was one in the old box. We’ll have to look again.
2. Find the blue and white pair of wires from the bunch.
3. Connect the white to the Green terminal and connect the blue to the Red terminal. The L2 terminals above the L1 (already connected)
4. Leave connected the red and green wires on the L1 terminal to continue to get dial tone on L1. (Could be removed once OOMA ports number, but not necessary.)
5. Then plug the phone line back into the jack.
6. Using the designated L1, L2 splitter, plug the DSL modem into L2 port and verify that I still have Internet connection. (I assume I will after 8 PM on day they turn on line2, but will I have anything on L2 before then? I may still have it on L1.)
7. Check phone in L1 port of the splitter and see if I get a dial tone.
8. Once dial tone/internet is verified, close up the NID.
9. Can I just leave the DSL filters on the other phone jacks? I’ve bought a five-handset phone and will not be plugging in to them.

Anything I have overlooked? Want to do this right!

lbmofo, thanks for all you help. It’s been invaluable.
#97194 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 pm
emawoman wrote:Just looked inside the NID box. I have a cable with six-strand wire and two sets of red and green terminals. Green wire to lower green and red wire to lower red. I have blue and white wires unused and black and yellow wires also. So I assume I can hook either set of them to the unused upper terminals. It looks like I could just strip some of the outer covering and wrap them around the upper screws the way the red and green wires are.

The yellow and black are your 2nd pair. yellow is ring and black is tip. Strange that your 1st pair is connected to the lower terminal. Since you stated that you wanted your 1st pair to have phone and 2nd pair to have DSL, the phone company should put the DSL signal on the upper terminal so connect the yellow wire to the upper terminal's red screw (ring) and black wire to the green screw (tip).

For your reference, Newer Wire colors:

Older Wire colors:

emawoman wrote:Understand I should leave a receiver off the hook so no phone calls can come through when I handle the wires.

Leaving a phone off hook doesn't help. Before you mess with wires in the NID, make sure to unplug the modular plug to the left of the screw terminals. This will disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company (no dialtone at any walljack when you do this).

emawoman wrote:Basically, I need to do the following steps. Please verify to make sure I got it right.

Steps:
1. Unplug the phone line from the jack in the NID. Hubby and I did not notice it when we looked, but I know there was one in the old box. We’ll have to look again. Yes. There should be a plug for each terminal so unplugging both plugs would be best when you work on wires in NID.
2. Find the blue and white pair of wires from the bunch. Use yellow (ring) and black (tip) wires
3. Connect the white to the Green terminal and connect the blue to the Red terminal. The L2 terminals above the L1 (already connected) yellow to red screw, black to green screw
4. Leave connected the red and green wires on the L1 terminal to continue to get dial tone on L1. (Could be removed once OOMA ports number, but not necessary.) yes
5. Then plug the phone line back into the jack. yes
6. Using the designated L1, L2 splitter, plug the DSL modem into L2 port and verify that I still have Internet connection. (I assume I will after 8 PM on day they turn on line2, but will I have anything on L2 before then? I may still have it on L1.) I think once telephone company says your dry loop DSL is ready, you'll have to activate somehow (follow the instructions in self installation kit) If wiring is correct, then you should be up and running.
7. Check phone in L1 port of the splitter and see if I get a dial tone. yes
8. Once dial tone/internet is verified, close up the NID. yes
9. Can I just leave the DSL filters on the other phone jacks? I’ve bought a five-handset phone and will not be plugging in to them. Once DSL is on 2nd pair, your walljacks will not need them filters. Just remove them; if nothing else, for better looks.

Anything I have overlooked? Want to do this right! Think we are good for now.

lbmofo, thanks for all you help. It’s been invaluable. YW. Post issues if encountered.

There is a chance that all will be messed up when phone company says they've done what you asked them to do. Maybe terminals will be mixed up at the NID. The best way to test is to unplug the plugs at the NID and then plugging in your phone or modem into the jacks at the NID to tell which ended up being which. Then, you can wire accordingly.