Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#97022 by myoomauser
Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:22 am
Can I keep my landline number along with my dsl after porting the original LL# to my Ooma?
I would like to port a landline # to Ooma but still be able to answer that # either on the landline OR my Ooma. I would like to keep the landline which is in a different location for at least six months, but at the same time have that number ported as a secondary number to an existing Ooma premier service
#97023 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am
Can you explain in a bit more detail? Do you have 2 landlines right now? Do you have your landline with DSL in the main home? Do you just have landline and no internet on the 2ndary home? What is original LL#?
#97024 by myoomauser
Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:43 pm
I presently have one landline in one location and Ooma in another. I want to port the landline # to the ooma as a secondary # while still retaining the existing landline along with that number, so I will have access to that number from either location.
#97025 by highq
Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:16 pm
No can do.

Your landline is serviced by some Telephone Company. Porting it means you have the number serviced by a different company -- Ooma, in our context here. A number points to one physical location, only one.

There's something called forwarding, though. I have my Ooma number ring not only my Ooma-connected phone, but also my cell phone. My wife's phone, serviced by Verizon FiOS, is forwarded (by Verizon FiOS) to simultaneously ring her cell phone.

Perhaps your existing TelCo offersa similar service, to ring your existing number with them, as well as an Ooma-supplied (non-ported )number at your second location.
#97026 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 pm
If you have high speed internet in both locations, then you can port both numbers to Ooma and then just bring Ooma wherever you are.
#97047 by GMOOMA
Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:46 am
The porting process will terminate the phone service with the ported (from) carrier. You will have to go back and specify post termination that you want to resubscribe to service using a NEW phone number. That is if you want to keep a land-line with a new number and have separate Ooma service at the same location.

Just understand, most of us OOMA subscribers port numbers because they WANT to cancel all landline PHONE service. You may still be allowed to keep your dsl line (for data/internet only) if you transfer your phone service and number-- but understand if you ever cancel that dsl line you will probably not ever get it back again.. AT&T and Verizon are not offering it anymore as a stand-alone service only as a "dual play" phone/dsl.