Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#96876 by Ambidexter
Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm
Hi,

I've just got an Ooma Telo this week. I tried using it between my routers and RCN cable modem. It worked...but when I called support to ask a question about line configurations, I noticed, the Ooma had dropped me off the internet totally. I asked the rep if they do something when they "check on my account" that locks the "home network" port, or times it out for some reason. I wonder if a feedback from a cell phone calling the Ooma would cause this. It would make the port seem "full" as the codec is seeing a lot of loud voice data rapidly...or maybe when I was screaming? :D

My connection was down the whole time from when I noticed, until at least a few minutes later when I hung up.

I also wonder if the network connections (RJ-45) are particularly tweaky on the Telo. If I just touch either the home (upstream) or Internet (downstream) RJ-45 cables, or the plastic of the inserted plugs, the Ooma will show blinking red and the link lights go off. I've tried numerous sets of new and old RJ45s...plastic ones, metal ones, and they all are tweaky. So I need to mount this somewhere that no strain happens to the cables. That's difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ambi
#96877 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:24 pm
Ambidexter wrote:Hi,

I've just got an Ooma Telo this week. I tried using it between my routers and RCN cable modem. It worked...but when I called support to ask a question about line configurations, I noticed, the Ooma had dropped me off the internet totally. I asked the rep if they do something when they "check on my account" that locks the "home network" port, or times it out for some reason. I wonder if a feedback from a cell phone calling the Ooma would cause this. It would make the port seem "full" as the codec is seeing a lot of loud voice data rapidly...or maybe when I was screaming? :D

My connection was down the whole time from when I noticed, until at least a few minutes later when I hung up.

I also wonder if the network connections (RJ-45) are particularly tweaky on the Telo. If I just touch either the home (upstream) or Internet (downstream) RJ-45 cables, or the plastic of the inserted plugs, the Ooma will show blinking red and the link lights go off. I've tried numerous sets of new and old RJ45s...plastic ones, metal ones, and they all are tweaky. So I need to mount this somewhere that no strain happens to the cables. That's difficult.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ambi

It sounds like you are using telephone cables instead of Cat 5 or Cat 6 Network cables to make connections from your Modem to the Ooma Device Internet port, and the Ooma Device Home port to your Router???

If so, try using Network cables.
#96891 by Ambidexter
Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm
Hi thunderbird,

I'm using network cables. 4 pair, Cat-6 rated, even shielded ones. It's not really loose in the connector, that's the only reason I could think that the connection drops when touching the cable or connector. It may be that what's loose is the connection between the RJ-45 headers, which are soldered to the motherboard of the Ooma Telo. If it's a cold solder joint (one that's not "shiny" if I took it apart to look) that would make it loose after a while. The thing is brand new though. So who knows, I may have to RMA it.

The question for everyone is "have you ever had connections drop, or the "red Oooma" start after touching the cables, moving the Ooma around, etc. without electrically disconnecting them? That's what I've got.

Thanks,

Ambi



thunderbird wrote:
Ambidexter wrote:Hi,
Ambi

It sounds like you are using telephone cables instead of Cat 5 or Cat 6 Network cables to make connections from your Modem to the Ooma Device Internet port, and the Ooma Device Home port to your Router???

If so, try using Network cables.
#96892 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:56 pm
Ambidexter wrote:The question for everyone is "have you ever had connections drop, or the "red Oooma" start after touching the cables, moving the Ooma around, etc. without electrically disconnecting them? That's what I've got.

Not normal, can you reproduce it?
#96910 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm
Ambidexter:
I had to have one Ooma Telo replaced because of poor network cable connections at the Ooma Telo Internet port connection. If that is your problem and your Ooma Telo is within the one year warranty period, Ooma will send you a replacement Ooma Telo shipping prepaid. They will also send a prepaid shipping label to ship the defective Ooma Telo back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#96946 by Leeway
Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 am
I'd like to add that you check your phone wire at the wall. I recently caused myself a problem because the telephone wire was not secure in the plug.

Donna

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests