Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#95674 by rmueller
Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 am
Thanks thunderbird, I see you have helped a lot of people on this forum. I'm sure they all appreciate it!

Here's my status, since last post much has transpired:
- I redid my modem>router installation. Using AT&T DSL, with modem bridged to router for PPPoE settings now on the router. Entire home network is working fine (wired/wireless good).
- I called OOma tech support. After working with them, they were able to "see" activity on my Ooma hub. They then "uploaded" an update (my interpretation) onto the hub and told me not to touch any connection for the next hour... done.
- Next day, rebooting the Ooma hub was looking very promising. I'm now getting a series of flashing red lights across all the buttons. Something I wasn't getting before.
- However, after resetting and resetting (holding 40 seconds, with connections to hub, without connections to hub) many many times, I believe it's reset -- but still can't get it installed.
- There is absolutely NO WAY can I get a PC connection to the hub anymore!
- All I'm getting now is a solid red light on tab and red lights on the middle row (trash can and mail buttons).

Last night, I tried to install modem>Ooma>router with no success. (4 hours down the drain)...

My goal is to have modem>router>ooma installation, using my router's (dir-655) QoS settings.

What are my next steps?
#95676 by thunderbird
Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am
rmueller:
Since you have never got your Ooma Hub to work, with power removed from all three devices, temporarily connect Modem-Oomo-Computer, leaving the Router temporarily disconnected.
If you are using Wi-Fi in your computer, temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer.
Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Hub, and let the Ooma Hub boot as far as it will boot.
Next repower the computer.
Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open.
Select network connections. Click on the down arrow and select PPPoE. Go down and enter your DSL Name and Password.
Note: Some DSL providers require an (optional) Service Name to be entered. Try without the Service Name first, but if you find out later that you don't get a connection, add the Service Name and try again.
Click on Update Device.
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Hub, and Computer. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Hub. Hopefully the Ooma Hub will boot all of the way to a Blue tab. Check with a phone to see if you can hear the Ooma dial tone. If you don't, you may have to call Ooma again and have them give your Ooma Profile a "kick start" again.

Change to a Modem-Router-Ooma connection:
If the Ooma Hub connects to the Internet and everything is working, go back into Ooma Setup and in Network connections, select Automatic, and click on Update Device.
Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Hub, and computer.
Re-connect Modem-Router-Ooma. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, repower the Router. When the Router is done powering, repower the Ooma hub. Listen with a phone to see if you can hear the Ooma dial tone.
#95703 by rmueller
Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 am
I followed your first set of directions, assuming that I only have a Modem>Ooma>PC hardware setup. Since it was not clear to me how my modem settings should be (direct connection to PC, PPPoE (sic?), Bridge mode).

My findings:
I tried all 3 iterations of modem settings. Everytime I turned the Ooma hub on I either reset the Ooma (holding the tab button down for 40 seconds), or no reset (if the lights were sequencing after power plugged in). I then turned the hub around and watched the green/orange cat5/lan connections on the hub. Many times, while the Ooma was sequencing upon powering on the green light would flash, and orange light would NOT flash. Every time, the connection lights would NOT stay lit. IOW, I have no acknowledgment that the hub is connected and communicating to either the PC or the DSL modem. I was expecting to see a solid green light and a flashing orange light.

My PC and modem can connect, no problem. No matter how many different settings (and multiple sets of cables) I still can't get log into the ooma hub. Prior to technical support involvement last week (firmware upload ?, my words not theirs), I could log into the ooma hub.

Does this mean the Ooma hub is dead?
#95713 by thunderbird
Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 pm
rmueller:
Holding the Ooma Hub Tab Button down while starting the Ooma Hub clears any Ooma Setup settings that you previously made, which will not allow the Ooma Hub to connect to the Internet.
Were you able to access Ooma Setup? If you can, in most cases it is good news.
Do you have a name and password for your AT&T Internet service? If so temporarily connect Modem-Ooma-Computer.
You may have to remove power and repower the Modem, Ooma Hub, and Computer in squence to be able to access Ooma Setup in the next step.
In Ooma Setup enter the Connections type, (should be PPPoE; if unsure, contact AT&T for this information), and then enter the Name and Password. Click on Update Device.
Removed power from the Modem, Ooma Hub, and Computer. Don't hold the Ooma Hub Tab button down when repowering the Ooma Hub. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, Repower the Ooma Hub. When the Ooma Hub is done booting, repower the Computer.
#95719 by rmueller
Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 pm
My two problems are:
- No, I can't access the ooma setup
- and what about the cat5 connection on the ooma hub. Shouldn't I expect green and orange lights when it's successfully connected.

I have all the AT&T connection info for PPPoE. I'll try and connect to the hub again.
#95725 by thunderbird
Wed May 09, 2012 10:02 pm
rmueller wrote:My two problems are:
- No, I can't access the ooma setup
- and what about the cat5 connection on the ooma hub. Shouldn't I expect green and orange lights when it's successfully connected.

I have all the AT&T connection info for PPPoE. I'll try and connect to the hub again.

You probably won’t see a solid Green light until you establish an Internet connection.

If you can't access Ooma Setup; using the temporary connection Modem-Ooma-Computer, do the following in your Computer:
(The following instructions are a cut and paste from Windows XP, other Windows operating systems are similar, or from your operating system start menu, click on help, then do a search for PPPoE).

To make a broadband connection using Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)
Open Network Connections.
Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
Click Connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
Click Setup my connection manually, and then click Next.
Click Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password.
Follow the instructions in the New Connection Wizard providing the information from your ISP.
(Enter AT&T DSL PPPoE Name and Password).

Note:
To open Network Connections, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.

Most important is to reboot the Modem, Ooma Hub, and Computer in squence everytime you make a change.
#95902 by rmueller
Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 am
A few days ago I went through your instructions for connecting to the Ooma hub via Windows networking. I am using Win7 so it is pretty straightforward.

I am still NOT able to connect to this hub. I have not been able to connect to it ever since Ooma tech support attempted a remote firmware upgrade. I believe this hub is dead and I don't know what to do -- Hopefully Ooma tech support will swap out my hub for a replacement.
#95903 by thunderbird
Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm
rmueller wrote:Status:
A few days ago I went through your instructions for connecting to the Ooma hub via Windows networking. I am using Win7 so it is pretty straightforward.

I am still NOT able to connect to this hub. I have not been able to connect to it ever since Ooma tech support attempted a remote firmware upgrade. I believe this hub is dead and I don't know what to do -- Hopefully Ooma tech support will swap out my hub for a replacement.

If Ooma Technical Support tried to remove a firmware upgrade from your Ooma Hub, and it caused you Ooma Hub to stop functioning, then Ooma should help you!

Maybe you should send Ooma Moderator Bobby B. a personal e-mail memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53
and explain what happened and what you expect to happen to correct the failed Ooma Hub problem.
#95930 by rmueller
Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 am
I am working with tech support now. I am hopeful that they understand the situation and will provide remedy. If we look at all the facts of what transpired, something happened to the hub after they "touched" it...

I will post their response. Thanks!
#95935 by rmueller
Thu May 17, 2012 12:25 pm
Ooma Tech support responded with:

The device probably encountered a hardware/software failure.
Since you are unable to go to the setup page, perhaps some of the functions got damaged.
Unfortunately, we do not know what might have caused it.

Upgrading to the latest firmware is the next step we can try. However the device is already on latest version.

The device needs to be replaced. However we cannot replace it under the warranty guidelines.
You may purchase a new machine from nearby electronic stores or through our sales team.

Well, not sure what to do next... How can I upgrade to the newest firmware if I can't connect to the box??