Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#95271 by tpeluso
Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:29 pm
I recently built myself a Windows Home Server 2011 box. I'm now in the process of trying to get Remote Web Access working on it using a Dyndns.org domain, but I'm running into several issues getting it working that my Telo is playing a role in creating, and I'm hoping to get some assistance.

My original network setup was Modem (Scientific Atlanta 2100) > Telo > Router (Linksys E1000). I have a Linksys EG005W switch connected to the router to provide additional network ports for devices in my home entertainment unit, one of which is the WHS box. This setup created two complications which I could not figure out, and ultimately led me to decide to change to a Modem > Router > Telo setup:

• When I tried to configure RWA on the server, I got an error message about there being multiple routing devices on my network and that configuration could not be completed. It took me a while to figure out that the Telo has routing capability.
  • The bigger concern for me, though, was that with the Telo in front, entering my public IP address would cause the Telo setup page to load, and I could not figure out how to stop that from happening (because, of course, any determined hacker who knew my public IP could then mess around on my network with just a few keystrokes).
So my first question is, is there a way around these issues so that I can setup the server with the Telo in front of the router?

Secondly, once I switched my network setup to Modem > Router > Telo, this obviously prevented me from being able to load the Telo setup page (since nothing was connected to the Home port). I've read on other threads on these boards that it's possible to set up access to Telo setup by doing some forwarding with the MAC address and whatnot, but 1) None of what I read was particularly crystal-clear, 2) except for the fact that it involved forwarding port 80 on my router to a particular address, which I can't do because I need to forward port 80 to the server. Is there a way to get Telo to broadcast the setup page on a different port, and regardless of whether or not it is or not possible, can someone spell out the process to view the Telo setup page without connecting to the Home port? (I have given my Telo a static IP outside of my router's DHCP range, but I'm not sure how to proceed from there.)
#95272 by murphy
Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:53 pm
Forward port 80 inside of the Telo to the IP address 172.27.35.1.
You will have to connect a hard wired computer to the Telo Home jack to do this.
Once it has been done you can connect from your network to the static IP address you gave to the Telo.

Your previous arrangement didn't work because you tried to do the test from inside of your network. The Telo does not support loopback so any testing of remote access must be done from outside of your network.
#95273 by tpeluso
Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:03 pm
murphy wrote:Forward port 80 inside of the Telo to the IP address 172.27.35.1.
You will have to connect a hard wired computer to the Telo Home jack to do this.
Once it has been done you can connect from your network to the static IP address you gave to the Telo.

That was the part I wasn't understanding. I thought I needed to do the forwarding inside the router, not the Telo. Thanks, it's working now.

murphy wrote:Your previous arrangement didn't work because you tried to do the test from inside of your network. The Telo does not support loopback so any testing of remote access must be done from outside of your network.

So what you're basically saying is that in all likelihood, if I'd tried accessing the IP from outside the network, the Telo setup page probably wouldn't have come up? (Of course, that's more of a "what if" question than anything, because from the server standpoint, having the Telo behind the router rather than in front is clearly better for it - I still have some issues to sort out with the RWA setup, but those questions are for a WHS forum, not here.)