Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#95055 by bdot
Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:01 pm
I am using the old Core device I got at the beginning of 2009. I've been having issues recently and I'm trying to determine if the issue is the Hub or the cable modem, or maybe both.

Sometimes my cable modem resets. Obviously that's an issue with the cable modem or the internet connection.
What I have been seeing the past few days is different though. The cable modem has all lights on saying it's connected. Ooma says everything is fine. But the internet on the computer can't connect and the phone can't dial out.
When I power cycle things, the internet comes back. I've had it come back by power cycling the cable modem and by power cycling Ooma which makes it hard to isolate.
This evening when it happened, I went to the web link to access Ooma and I changed the setting from "Automatic" to "DHCP" and then "static IP" and then back to Automatic. I heard Ooma start the reconnecting clicking sound and I was back connected.

I'm thinking of trying to run some ping tests when it drops again but I'm not certain that's going to be helpful yet.

Here's a Question. Can the Ooma device work if it is connected after the computer?
Right now it's cable modem -> Ooma -> computer
Can it work if it is cable modem -> computer -> Ooma?
Yes, I know I lose ability to remote into it and for it to control traffic but what I'm trying to do is isolate things.
If it would work with that setup, I wanted to be able to surf the web and periodically try phone calls. If I can't make phone calls but can access the web, it's Ooma. If I lose internet access then it's the cable modem.
#95056 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:04 pm
You can try taking Ooma out of your setup for a day or 2 and see....given you can afford to miss some calls. If you have Premier, forward calls to your cell.
#95057 by murphy
Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:09 pm
Is Ooma set to use the built-in MAC address?
If the MAC address changes after Ooma registers with the cable modem the cable modem will block it from accessing the internet.
#95078 by bdot
Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:50 am
now that I think about it, I won't be able to do what I was thinking anyways. I don't have a lan card on the back of the PC :)

And i can't route calls to a cell phone cause I don't own a cell phone. :)

I only get maybe 1 phone call every 6 months so it's not complete devastation to lose constant phone access.
If the disconnects get bad again (they seem to be moody, only have one lock up yesterday), I'll go back to removing Ooma and going through just the cable modem for a week.
#95082 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 am
bdot wrote:now that I think about it, I won't be able to do what I was thinking anyways. I don't have a lan card on the back of the PC :)

For a Modem-Computer-Ooma connection, you would need two Wired Lan cards installed in your computer. One Wired LAN card to receive the Interent signal from the Modem, and one Wired LAN card to pass the Internet signal from the computer to the Ooma device. In the computer My Network places, sharing has to be set up to make this connection work. I have the My Network Places sharing setup procedure and would post it if you decide to go that route. For the Ooma device to receive the Internet signal at all times, with this setup, the computer must remain on 24 hours a day.
bdot wrote:And i can't route calls to a cell phone cause I don't own a cell phone. :)

I only get maybe 1 phone call every 6 months so it's not complete devastation to lose constant phone access.
If the disconnects get bad again (they seem to be moody, only have one lock up yesterday), I'll go back to removing Ooma and going through just the cable modem for a week.