Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#94763 by Lumpy
Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:18 pm
For the last 5-6 mo. my Telo has been behaving oddly and it's been more than a little annoying.

To start with, it regularly and randomly says a number from 1-4. Sometimes in order, sometimes just 1 or 2 numbers. At first it was maybe a couple times a day. Now it's every few minutes.

In addition it also says "Handset paging enabled" also infrequently at first but every few minutes now, usually right after it says a number.

Even more annoying is when it suddenly starts playing messages. Again, seldomly at first, now constantly. Lately, if I delete all my messages it announces I have "No saved messages" again, constantly.

The past few months I've had intermittent problems where I would try to answer an incoming call and neither end would hear anything and when I try to make an outgoing call I get the chime and dialtone but after I dial, nothing.

On top of that, when all this started, the controls on the device quit responding to touch. I can't listen to messages when I want to but then again, I don't need to since it's constantly playing my messages when I don't want it to.

The icing on the cake is how the volume of all this unwanted chatter seems to cycle from lowest to loudest, back and forth.

I don't believe I've ever experienced such an epic failure from piece of hardware. The only reason I've kept it this long is because the online access and features have been good so far and the minimal expense after the initial purchase. As far as support goes I've only been passed on so I just gave up on that.

I've had it a little over a year so I'm sure it's out of warrenty by now and I really have no desire to pay for a repeat.
#94764 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Lumpy:
Make sure there isn't any power cord or passing near over the top of the Ooma Telo. Make sure that there isn't any electrical or electronic device within three to four feet of the Ooma Telo.
My wife will sometimes places her cell phone on charge on the end table where our Ooma Telo sets, and some of the same problems will occur. When the cell phone charge cord is move away, the Ooma Telo's behavior returns to normal.

Something else to try:
Dial *#*#511 to turn on/off Touch Panel sound effects:
If you dial *#*#511, it will turn off/on audio announcements for all Ooma Telo button presses. Since the random "handset paging" announcements are a result of the Telo falsely thinking a button was pressed, this fix seems to take care of the problem. You can still play back voicemail from the Telo without any problem.

If the above suggestions doesn't help, try the following:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.
#94766 by Lumpy
Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:19 pm
Thanx TBird

I don't know why I couldn't get any of this info from support. I'll admit, though, the main reason I haven't been able to solve this is laziness and procrastination. It's gotten so bad lately I finally had to do something.

My Telo is surrounded by electronics. Mainly my network an TV gear(cable modem, WiFi GB router, cordless phone base station, PS3, HDMI switch, DLP TV, Mits. 3D adapter) all within a couple feet and some nearly touching. I'm connected to GB ethernet and have no other accessories attached.

I'll try moving things around when I get home from work. :)
#94768 by murphy
Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:11 pm
You can turn the sounds off by dialing *#*#511
#94769 by Lumpy
Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 pm
I moved it about 10 feet from where it was and at first it seemed to help. Ironically as I started to type this reply it started to act up again. So far it's not as bad as before. I left myself a message and everything seems to be behaving normally except that I can't listen to the message by touching the blinking red play button. I'll leave it for awhile to see if it starts playing it on it's own like it was doing before.

I can make outgoing calls normally. Incoming calls are a bit sketchier. Sometimes it won't ring. When it does I can answer it and converse.

At least I kind of understand that the location was subjecting it to a lot of RF interference which seems to fool the touch sensitive controls. Doesn't explain why it won't respond to touch as it should.

I'll try the entering the code later. I want to see how it behaves for awhile first.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It isn't fixed but at least I don't feel like taking an hammer to it now. Looks like I'll be able to keep it until it becomes feasible to replace.
#94770 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Lumpy wrote:I moved it about 10 feet from where it was and at first it seemed to help. Ironically as I started to type this reply it started to act up again. So far it's not as bad as before. I left myself a message and everything seems to be behaving normally except that I can't listen to the message by touching the blinking red play button. I'll leave it for awhile to see if it starts playing it on it's own like it was doing before.

I can make outgoing calls normally. Incoming calls are a bit sketchier. Sometimes it won't ring. When it does I can answer it and converse.

At least I kind of understand that the location was subjecting it to a lot of RF interference which seems to fool the touch sensitive controls. Doesn't explain why it won't respond to touch as it should.

I'll try the entering the code later. I want to see how it behaves for awhile first.

Anyway thanks for the advice. It isn't fixed but at least I don't feel like taking an hammer to it now. Looks like I'll be able to keep it until it becomes feasible to replace.

Sometimes by accomplishing the Ooma Telo Factory reset, the buttons will begin to work again.

Also if you enter, dial *#*#511 in a phone connected to the Ooma Telo, to turn on/off Touch Panel sound effects, doing so a few times, it may clear up "confused" Ooma Telo software?