Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#94613 by tleonhar
Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 pm
We are a couple snowbirds and spend our winters outside the US, bringing our Ooma with so we still have contact back home. Recently when trying to call a back to the US, I get the Ooma dial tone, dial the number, then silence, call does not go through, no error message, nothing, just silence. Any suggestions?
#94614 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm
This behavior is when Ooma has lost internet connection. The blue status stays on for a few minutes even when internet connection is lost. To tell if Ooma has internet connection, press the play button. If the play button stays lit without any message playback or "no messages" message, your internet connection has been lost.
#94618 by tleonhar
Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:41 pm
That would appear to be the problem, I hit play, it (play button) turns red but nothing. I have a wireless adapter that I'll try to see if it makes any difference. The question remains however; when I power cycle the Ooma box, it reboots normal including coming back to an all blue condition just like normal.
#94619 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:27 am
tleonhar wrote:We are a couple snowbirds and spend our winters outside the US, bringing our Ooma with so we still have contact back home. Recently when trying to call a back to the US, I get the Ooma dial tone, dial the number, then silence, call does not go through, no error message, nothing, just silence. Any suggestions?

The Ooma device doesn't "know" if it is located outside or inside the USA. It only needs the proper Internet signal.

It sounds like you aren't getting the required Internet speeds to operate the Ooma device.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload Internet speeds.

Run Phonepower Speedtest to make sure you are getting the required Download and Upload Internet speeds. http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest

Sometimes when I was overseas, I had to reboot the Modem and Ooma device many times to get a proper Internet connection. Once I did, the Ooma phone system worked just fine.
#94623 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:23 am
Thunderbird, is it possible that you are quoting old recommended download/upload speeds? Here's a quote from the Canadian Ooma website, which portions of are newer than the US, obviously since Ooma has only been licensed here since November of 2011.

"How fast is fast enough?
Ooma is engineered for great voice quality but you will need a high-speed Internet connection equivalent to at least a typical DSL connection with 384 kbps upstream and downstream."

It seems that Ooma has learned a bit from their experience with the huge US market and is using better tools to prep Canadian consumers before they even purchase, such as this "Help Me Decide" tool. It's baffling as to why they don't use this tool on the US website or make any upfront speed recommendations like they do at the Canadian URL. It's as if they are assuming that US consumers would not buy their product if they saw a tool like this, but I think they would actually have a happier US consumer base if they properly prepared them like they are doing for Canadian consumers, rather than leaving damage control to their customer service and helpful people like you to deal with pissed off users who were uninformed before buying into their service.

If some the consumer was better informed going in, I sure it would cut down on the number of hot heads slamming the product on the forum. It's just not good business to have so many of these unnecessary and preventable irate posts on the forum.
#94635 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:35 pm
EX Bell:
Below is an extract from the information provided from Ooma's Customer Service "Boiler Plate" instructions that their customer service agents put out. I also have another extract that swaps the download and upload speeds?
Quote: "Just to let you aware of, the Ooma system is dependent to the upload speed of your Internet. The minimum speed requirement for an Ooma to work is 256kbps. Although the recommended upload speed is 384kbps."

It probably would be safe for us to use 384 kbps for minimums for both upload and download Internet speeds. But without a doubt someone will post saying that the numbers are incorrect.

The Ooma Moderators (Engineers) are so busy right now with their past due new projects, I hate to contact them for clarification right now.
#94647 by tleonhar
Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm
OK, I tried the speed test, I have 1.98M download and 800K upload, so network speed is fine. I tried different ports, no change, tried the wireless adapter, same result. I went to the online chat help, the guy says to call customer service, DUH, how am I suppose to call cust serv with no phone? Anyone have any more ideas?
#94648 by tleonhar
Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 pm
SUCCESS!! Just went to the online chat, had a guy by the name of Mark, after several experiments, we powered down the whole network, then brought the LAN back on line first, after everything was back up and stable, repowered the Ooma and all is happy now. My telco provided router is some no name brand and quite frankly looks like Yugo quality, I have to reboot the network on a regular basis and had been doing so with the Ooma on, it seems like one or the other or both were not happy with that. I'll remember now, when I need to reboot the router it's Ooma off, router reboot, after back and stable, Ooma back on. :cool: