Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#94601 by ohhma
Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 pm
EX BELL thanks for good reply. NAME with older provider is diff than here as any member can get his new phone.
Also think why it was working 100% OK in the 1st few months by blocking both NAME+NUMBER; and why suddenly became intermitent! Now is is blocking NAME part only reads as Anonymous, but ph# reads FULL. Both dialing and dialed parties are the same !
#94611 by EX Bell
Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 pm
ohhma wrote:EX BELL thanks for good reply. NAME with older provider is diff than here as any member can get his new phone.
Also think why it was working 100% OK in the 1st few months by blocking both NAME+NUMBER; and why suddenly became intermitent! Now is is blocking NAME part only reads as Anonymous, but ph# reads FULL. Both dialing and dialed parties are the same !

Sorry ohhma, but I don't fully understand the first part of your reply. No matter though, I did a test for you. I've never actually blocked my number because I don't want to normally, so I tried it for the first time. If I dial *67, wait for the tone and then dial my cell phone, it shows "Unknown Number". If I don't dial *67, it shows my home number as it should. Next if I go to the Privacy Preferences on my.ooma.com and check the box next to "Block display of my caller-ID for outbound calls", the number will still be shown and there's a reason for that. There is a caveat to using this feature. You are changing an option on Ooma's user web portal that requires the Telo to sync with Ooma's server for this to take effect. If I unplug the Telo for 2 minutes, when I plug it back in, my number is blocked for all calls. If I uncheck the box next to "Block display of my caller-ID for outbound calls", my number is still blocked until I unplug the Telo again for 2 minutes.

So if you want to normally block your number, you need to check the box and then unplug the Telo for 2 minutes. Then, should you need to show your number temporarly for a single call, you dial *82, wait for the tone and then dial the number and your CID will be displayed until the next call.

In regard to the name, I really think this is just CNAM propagation. My number shows up, but the CNAM show as "Anonymous" when we phone my in-laws Rogers Home Phone, and my number's been ported since February 13 of this year. My in-laws have had Rogers VoIP Home Phone for about two years now. My friends just moved to a new home a month ago and my CNAM already shows on their Bell VoIP Home Phone. Did your CNAM show up previously?
Last edited by EX Bell on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#94621 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 am
Ah, that explains why two minutes of unplugged time for my Telo is just right to make it work. Thanks.
#94663 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm
Ex Bell, since you are in Canada, perhaps you can help the OP try to repeat the problem.

Maybe the *67 doesn't block the number if calling Canadian landline? Maybe you still know some folks with landline in Canada who subscribes to Callerid?
#94685 by EX Bell
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:59 pm
Sure, I'll ask some neighbors. Most everyone that comes to mind is on VoIP, be it from Rogers, Bell, Vonage or other, but I'm sure I'll find someone with POTS and CID.
#94690 by ohhma
Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:25 am
They RESOLVED it 90% I am Glad,,It was routing issue.
It works OK on a landline and cell phone BUT I called a long distance company called DIAL91> LOCAL ACCESS , it asks me my PIN number [our number it sees as= no number!!]
BUT> then I enter PIN> it calls dialed number but it would still show FULL NUMBER to the dialed party here in Canada and also overseas! Tested similar thing WITH diff Calling card companies;This is also the case with many calling card companies I tested.
PRIMUS failed to resolve this thing and GAVE UP.. oh well!! I can live with it as it is; however when I purchased new OOMA it was NOT the case and I was very happy knowing this ooma wont show my number even to CALLING CARD companies as it did show private even overseas with above methods.. BUT nevertheless I am GLAD it works for normal calls OK however calling card catching our number cannot be resolved.. Or see what they do :!: I am sure there is an answer :idea:
#94714 by EX Bell
Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:15 pm
Good that you got it resolved because I wasn't going to be able to help by asking neighbors. I asked around and those that still have POTS, don't have CID. Everyone else has VoIP.

Much like me when I has POTS, they don't want to give Bell any more money for an already ridiculously expensive phone service. I used to pay them $6/month extra just for Call Waiting. I never had CID either until Ooma.