Outgoing numbers blocking NOT working:CONFIRMED

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
ohhma

Re: Outgoing numbers blocking NOT working:CONFIRMED

Post by ohhma » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 pm

EX BELL thanks for good reply. NAME with older provider is diff than here as any member can get his new phone.
Also think why it was working 100% OK in the 1st few months by blocking both NAME+NUMBER; and why suddenly became intermitent! Now is is blocking NAME part only reads as Anonymous, but ph# reads FULL. Both dialing and dialed parties are the same !

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 pm

ohhma wrote:EX BELL thanks for good reply. NAME with older provider is diff than here as any member can get his new phone.
Also think why it was working 100% OK in the 1st few months by blocking both NAME+NUMBER; and why suddenly became intermitent! Now is is blocking NAME part only reads as Anonymous, but ph# reads FULL. Both dialing and dialed parties are the same !
Sorry ohhma, but I don't fully understand the first part of your reply. No matter though, I did a test for you. I've never actually blocked my number because I don't want to normally, so I tried it for the first time. If I dial *67, wait for the tone and then dial my cell phone, it shows "Unknown Number". If I don't dial *67, it shows my home number as it should. Next if I go to the Privacy Preferences on my.ooma.com and check the box next to "Block display of my caller-ID for outbound calls", the number will still be shown and there's a reason for that. There is a caveat to using this feature. You are changing an option on Ooma's user web portal that requires the Telo to sync with Ooma's server for this to take effect. If I unplug the Telo for 2 minutes, when I plug it back in, my number is blocked for all calls. If I uncheck the box next to "Block display of my caller-ID for outbound calls", my number is still blocked until I unplug the Telo again for 2 minutes.

So if you want to normally block your number, you need to check the box and then unplug the Telo for 2 minutes. Then, should you need to show your number temporarly for a single call, you dial *82, wait for the tone and then dial the number and your CID will be displayed until the next call.

In regard to the name, I really think this is just CNAM propagation. My number shows up, but the CNAM show as "Anonymous" when we phone my in-laws Rogers Home Phone, and my number's been ported since February 13 of this year. My in-laws have had Rogers VoIP Home Phone for about two years now. My friends just moved to a new home a month ago and my CNAM already shows on their Bell VoIP Home Phone. Did your CNAM show up previously?
Last edited by EX Bell on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Chages on my.ooma.com may take a few minutes to take effect. I generally wait for 2 to 5 minutes before testing.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 am

Ah, that explains why two minutes of unplugged time for my Telo is just right to make it work. Thanks.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Ex Bell, since you are in Canada, perhaps you can help the OP try to repeat the problem.

Maybe the *67 doesn't block the number if calling Canadian landline? Maybe you still know some folks with landline in Canada who subscribes to Callerid?
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Sure, I'll ask some neighbors. Most everyone that comes to mind is on VoIP, be it from Rogers, Bell, Vonage or other, but I'm sure I'll find someone with POTS and CID.

ohhma

Post by ohhma » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:25 am

They RESOLVED it 90% I am Glad,,It was routing issue.
It works OK on a landline and cell phone BUT I called a long distance company called DIAL91> LOCAL ACCESS , it asks me my PIN number [our number it sees as= no number!!]
BUT> then I enter PIN> it calls dialed number but it would still show FULL NUMBER to the dialed party here in Canada and also overseas! Tested similar thing WITH diff Calling card companies;This is also the case with many calling card companies I tested.
PRIMUS failed to resolve this thing and GAVE UP.. oh well!! I can live with it as it is; however when I purchased new OOMA it was NOT the case and I was very happy knowing this ooma wont show my number even to CALLING CARD companies as it did show private even overseas with above methods.. BUT nevertheless I am GLAD it works for normal calls OK however calling card catching our number cannot be resolved.. Or see what they do :!: I am sure there is an answer :idea:

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Good that you got it resolved because I wasn't going to be able to help by asking neighbors. I asked around and those that still have POTS, don't have CID. Everyone else has VoIP.

Much like me when I has POTS, they don't want to give Bell any more money for an already ridiculously expensive phone service. I used to pay them $6/month extra just for Call Waiting. I never had CID either until Ooma.