Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#8061 by MadCityGuy
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 am
I probably missed something but I thought I'd ask about it anyway. When I first installed my Ooma I selected a local number but didn't schedule porting of my home number. After a couple of weeks making sure that I was happy with the Ooma I submitted the porting request. I thought that because my subscription came with 60 days of free Premier service my home number would become my second number on my Ooma subscription. However, when the porting completed I lost my first number and I only had one number. I ended up selecting another phone number a few days later because my original Ooma number was apparently gone.

Was this explained someplace? I'm afraid I gave out my original Ooma number and I'm trying to figure out who has the wrong number now. It's particularly confusing because when AT&T turned over my phone number to Ooma's partner it took nearly six days before the porting completed so I depended on my Ooma number.
#8062 by murphy
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:58 am
Call support and ask if they can get the number back for you. It would have to replace your current second number.
#8064 by WayneDsr
Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:37 pm
Murphy's right. Call as soon as you can, they don't give numbers out right away and you're name is probably still on it.

Wayne
#8066 by scots
Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 pm
I don't know that it's explained anywhere but if you get a new number and then port in another number later, the ported-in number replaces your original ooma number. The exception is if you contact the porting department and let them know that you want to keep your original ooma number when the porting process is completed.
#8094 by niknak
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:01 pm
bw1 wrote:I read somewhere that they keep your temporary number for 30 days for this type of situation.

That is just why it takes approximately 30 days for all ports to complete - all phone companies do this
#8103 by Bobby B
Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 am
If it's a temporary number that you're replacing with a ported number, we'll usually hold the number for 60 days after it's been swapped out.

I've also asked our porting team to make it the default policy (that can be altered on request) to just make the ported number the main account number and put in the temporary number as the personal number (if none exists already).

bw1 wrote:I read somewhere that they keep your temporary number for 30 days for this type of situation.
#8109 by MadCityGuy
Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 am
I think the updated policy makes sense; I just kind of assumed that was the way things worked (but you know what they say about assumptions). I think the most imporant thing is to make sure people know how things work so that everyone has a common understanding.

Seems to me that one of the growing-pain challenges every company goes through is communications. This includes system-wide communications (you guys are doing a good job of developing a communications plan for outages), individual account impact events (I think you need to figure out a better communications plan for notifying customers of porting status), and policies and procedures.