Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93893 by AlanK
Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:58 pm
I have a problem where computers using a wireless connection to the Intenet lose that connection when a phone call is being made with Ooma. The wired computers are OK. I've played around with the upload Quality of Service setting. That seemed to make things marginally better, but the connection to the Internet is still dropped, just not as quickly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
#93895 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 pm
AlanK wrote:I have a problem where computers using a wireless connection to the Intenet lose that connection when a phone call is being made with Ooma. The wired computers are OK. I've played around with the upload Quality of Service setting. That seemed to make things marginally better, but the connection to the Internet is still dropped, just not as quickly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Another thing that you might try:
Go into the Router and change the Wi-Fi frequency setting from Automatic, to one of the listed frequencies and Save.
Then test. If using that frequency doesn't help, try using another one of the listed frequencies. Change frequencies until you find a Router Wi-Fi frequency that doesn't conflict with either your Ooma device, phone, or computer.
#93907 by EX Bell
Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:10 pm
Both good suggestions. I had an interference issue with a Uniden 5Ghz phone. I hadn't noticed it before I bought an Ooma Telo because the phones were upstairs and my old lath and plaster walls are good signal killers. When I was in transition from POTS to VoIP, I brought the Uniden base station downstairs and plugged it directly into the Telo. At first I thought the Telo was to blame and I was going to have to return it, until one evening when I sat with my laptop and pressed the talk button, I saw the WiFi signal drop at that instant. I changed to 2.4Ghz in the router and the issue was gone. When I was satisfied that the Ooma Telo was the right choice for us, I bought a Panasonic DECT 6.0 mulit-phone system. This made integration to the Telo easy and insured I would have limited rewiring to do. As a bonus I was able to set my router back to 5Ghz without issue and we finally have an integrated phone system in the house so we can use the intercom feature. Lots of other great perks, like talking caller ID, VM access and notification, etc. Worth every penny.

I'm grateful that I made the change to Ooma. It's given me great features I could never afford before, pushed me to buy a single integrated multi-phone system (rather than two 2-phone systems that worked independently of each other), and it highlighted a problem with a phone system that I might not have found otherwise. When I think back, the number of times my wife complained that her wireless connect suddenly dropped. I never put those two together because I was under the false impression that 5Ghz devices didn't interfere with each other. I think for Panasonic that's probably true. My 5Ghz Panasonic phones never interfered, and in fact I still use them in the basement for that reason. However, I've read that the Uniden use 5Ghz to receive and 2.4Ghz to send from the handsets to save power. I don't know if that's true or if it's the cause of the issue, I only know that they were an issue and so they are gone. Never really like anything about them other than the price anyway.