Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93813 by rennman10
Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 pm
I was able to fax quite reliably using the standard Ooma instructions, e.g. *99--.

I have not changed anything in my overall Ooma configuration and my network.

Just recently, I have found that I am no longer able to fax at all. I tried *98 and that did not work either. The fax machine dials, the other fax machine answers but my fax machine never "hears" the fax tone and continues to say it is "dialing" until the call fails.

Any ideas of what I can try?

It does seem very odd that it worked and now it does not work at all.

Thanks!
#93824 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm
rennman10 wrote:I was able to fax quite reliably using the standard Ooma instructions, e.g. *99--.

Just recently, I have found that I am no longer able to fax at all. I tried *98 and that did not work either. The fax machine dials, the other fax machine answers but my fax machine never "hears" the fax tone and continues to say it is "dialing" until the call fails.

Thanks!

Lately for some reason a lot the Internet provider's signals have become very poor.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
#93881 by rennman10
Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:06 pm
thunderbird wrote:
rennman10 wrote:I was able to fax quite reliably using the standard Ooma instructions, e.g. *99--.

Thanks!

Lately for some reason a lot the Internet provider's signals have become very poor.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: __5819 kbps______________
Upload Speed: ____4115 kbps____________
Download Consistency of Service ____67%____
Upload Consistency of Service __94%_______
Maximum TCP Delay _____76ms________
Jitter you server _____11.9ms_____
Jitter server you _1.2ms________
Packet loss: you server___0____
Packet loss: server you ___.4%___
Packet discards ___1.0%______
Packets out of order ____0_____
Estimated MOS score ___3.7_____

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
#93883 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:44 pm
rennman10:
Jitter you server _____11.9ms_____..............Should be less then 5ms.
Packet loss: server you ___.4%___................Should be zero.
Packet discards ___1.0%______....................Should be zero.

The above is an indication that something is going on with your Modem or Internet provider signal.

Remove power from your Modem. Then repower your Modem. Note: Some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed before a successful Modem reboot or reset can be accomplished. Reference your Modem owner's manual.

Run Phonepower Speed test again to see if there is improvement. You may have to reboot or reset your Modem several times, and test each time with Phonepower Speedtest, to see improvement. If no improvement is seen, borrow or purchase a Modem, and test. If the Modem doesn't help, contact your Internet provider with the problem.
#93939 by rennman10
Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm
Thank you!

I rebooted the cable modem and the data was much closer to that which you list.

Jitter you-> server 5.4%
Packet loss you -> server 0
Packet loss server -> you .2%
Packet discards 0

This seems to be good enough to fax, but I still can't. Fax machine does not connect when the dialed machine provides the fax tone.

Does this new data after reboots rule out the problems with the modem and the ISP?
#93941 by EX Bell
Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 pm
Is your fax machine really old? It could be that it doesn't support G.711
Could be time for a new fax machine if it's really old. Newer multifunction printers that support fax often will support these newer standards or better still, will convert a scanned image to PDF that can just be emailed instead of faxed when that's an acceptable solution. Some of these can even scan PDF to iOS and Android devices and some don't require any support devices and can just scan to cloud services like Google Cloud Print by themselves.

Mine is a Samsung SCX-4521F Multifunction and fortunately for me, even though my manual says that my fax machine only supports ITU-T Group 3 which if I'm not mistaken is the older T.30 specification, it still works.

Look in the specifications section of your FAX machine's manual (probably in the back of the manual) and see if it says your machine supports ITU-T T.38 or if there is anything about support for G.711

If it lists either of those, it means when you add a *98 to the beginning of the number you are dialing, it will put the Ooma Telo into G.711 mode. This should then allow a fax machine which also supports T.38 (G.711) to be used for fax communication over IP networks (as defined in T.38 specification).

From Wikipedia - "T.38 is an ITU recommendation for allowing transmission of fax over IP networks in real time"

Related - "G.711 pass through - this is where the T.30 fax call is carried in a VoIP call encoded as audio. This is sensitive to network packet loss, jitter and clock synchronization. When using voice high-compression encoding techniques such as, but not limited to, G.729, some fax tonal signals may not get correctly transported across the packet network."
#93948 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 pm
rennman10 wrote:Thank you!

I rebooted the cable modem and the data was much closer to that which you list.

Jitter you-> server 5.4%
Packet loss you -> server 0
Packet loss server -> you .2%
Packet discards 0

This seems to be good enough to fax, but I still can't. Fax machine does not connect when the dialed machine provides the fax tone.

Does this new data after reboots rule out the problems with the modem and the ISP?

Jitter you-> server 5.4%...............should be less then 5ms.
Packet loss server -> you .2%.........should be zero.

With the jitter a little high and the packet loss that should always be zero, but is .2%, I don't think the Fax will work. Also the Ooma device will probably work for voice communication, but there may be problems.

Since the Fax worked previously with the Ooma Telo, probably something has happened to your Modem or Internet connection. I would suggest that you borrow a modem or purchase a modem and see it that helps.

PS have you tried faxing without any prefix added to the number?
#94503 by rennman10
Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:09 pm
Thanks for the help!

Here is what I found.

My MFP is indeed ITU-T Group 3, so, yes, the older standard.

But what I think happened is that there was a firmware upgrade that appears to have changed some of my settings. I think this accounts for the prior success in faxing and the current failure consistent failure. The fax has a setting for adjusting the baud rate down to 9600 bps to compensate for phone line interference (as well as a setting for "Overseas mode" that also helps with phone line interference). When I reset these options - voila, I could fax again!

But it certainly seems that my Comcast Internet is flakier than is should be :cry: