Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93854 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:32 pm
If you want to distribute dialtone to your house wiring. Make sure you disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company first.

You can read up this thread: viewtopic.php?t=13354

What you might want to do is to have Hub & Scout near each other (connect them "wall port" to "wall port" using a short telephone cord) then distribute Hub dialtone ("phone port") to line 1 and then Scout dialtone ("phone port") to line 2. That way, any jack in the house would have 2 lines available to you.
#93856 by murphy
Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:10 pm
metropical wrote:After doing some additional reading, I think I may have to have a Scout per device.
Correct?

Not correct.
You can feed line 1 of your house wiring from the hub's phone jack and line 2 of your house wiring from the scout's phone jack.
#93866 by metropical
Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:41 am
I have disconnected the Telco POTS completely at the NID. But when I remove the Scout, there is still no dial at the extension of Ooma primary.
The wire I disconnected from the NID is the former POTS that we had prior to FiOS.
The POTS wire in the old NID for my line is connected to the FID. But the 2nd line isn't connected at the FID at all.

Is it possible there is some wire crossing in the house?
I can't figure out why it works with the Scout but not without.
Let me also add that the extension is a cordless, if that might change things.

We don't need the two lines all around the house because we both have cordless in addition to wired.

Now I'm thinking.
There were two wires under each screw of the old NID from the former POTS.
Perhaps they need to be spliced?
But why would the Scout work?

Hmmmmmm.
#93871 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:06 pm
What do you mean by the extension doesn't work when Scout removed?

Extension (not working) means phones connected to the Scout?

Removing Scout means you disconnect Scout's wall port from the walljack?
#93873 by metropical
Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 pm
The connection exists as walljack RJ to Scout Wall, out Scout Phone to Cordless phone.
When I connect the phone directly to the RJ, (without the Scout in between) no Ooma.

I must be doing something stupit.
#93874 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:18 pm
metropical wrote:The connection exists as walljack RJ to Scout Wall, out Scout Phone to Cordless phone.
When I connect the phone directly to the RJ, (without the Scout in between) no Ooma.

I must be doing something stupit.

If you are sure you disconnected the house wiring from the telephone company, then you can distribute the dialtone to your house wiring. I am thinking you have not distributed dialtone to your house wiring. For that to happen, you need to connect a phone cord from your Hub's phone port to a walljack. Then, you'd get Ooma dialtone at your other walljacks. The Hub's wall port only has HPNA signal and you won't get dialtone. At the Hub, you can use a duplex splitter to combine the Ooma dialtone and HPNA signal (phone port and wall port) and then feed it into a walljack. That way, at any other walljack, you'd have both Ooma dialtone and HPNA signal (so plugging in a phone would work and plugging in the Scout would work as well).

Duplex splitter:

If you are not sure of the house wiring, just use a couple of multi-handset cordless phone systems (one connected to the Hub and one connected to the Scout). Whether your house wiring is connected to the telephone company, it is safe to plug your Ooma wall port into a wall jack so you can plug in your Scout at any other wall jack and have it work.
#93875 by metropical
Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 pm
"The Hub's walljack only has HPNA signal and you won't get dialtone. At the Hub, you can use a duplex splitter to combine the Ooma dialtone and HPNA signal (phone port and wall port combined) and then feed it into a walljack. That way, any walljack, you'd have both Ooma dialtone and HPNA signal".

K, I think I got it. That is the missing link.
I thought that by plugging the Hub to the walljack I was done with distribution.
So I really need a duplex splitter and to "Y" the phone port of the Hub so that the "local" phone can be plugged in.
I'll search the Ooma box in storage.
Ah, the picture came to me late. Very good.