Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#7999 by Neubiee
Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:48 am
I noticed that there are couple of different ooma devices out there:

Does any one know what the difference is between "Rev. A" , "REV. B" ooma hubs?

How many other revisions are out there?

You can find your version on the back by the Mac address.
#8003 by southsound
Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:53 pm
I would assume that the ooma hub is able to receive updated firmware via its connection to ooma's servers. Although I have no proof of this, I believe that the revision number may refer to a hardware revision. As a product matures, a vendor's experience with that product - and the everchanging state of technology itself - can make subtle changes in components or circuit design give longer life, better performance, or less cost of manufacture.

Anybody from ooma care to verify?
#8023 by niknak
Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:00 am
Neubiee wrote:
niknak wrote:Those revision numbers refer to device's firmware

Niknak - thanks for the info. What's your source? and How do you update the firmware?

Nothing the end user needs to worry about...I'm sure ooma engineering can "push" updates to the device as long as it is on-line
#8037 by oomg
Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 am
niknak wrote:
Neubiee wrote:
niknak wrote:Those revision numbers refer to device's firmware

Niknak - thanks for the info. What's your source? and How do you update the firmware?

Nothing the end user needs to worry about...I'm sure ooma engineering can "push" updates to the device as long as it is on-line

So... how does one distinguish the different revisions?

Actually, quite simple. Open my eyes... where it says "Revision" on the bottom of the unit, look of for A or B. Now, what does it mean?
#8050 by Bobby B
Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 am
The difference between Rev. A and Rev. B is the starting software that loaded on the device. Functionally, there's no difference between the two revisions because Rev. A software and Rev. B software will automatically get updated to the latest version.

Neubiee wrote:Does any one know what the difference is between "Rev. A" , "REV. B" ooma hubs?
#9968 by teeitup
Tue May 19, 2009 9:31 pm
I have two different hubs. I noticed one felt heavier so I decided to weigh them. One is Part Number 110-0100-306 Rev B. The other is Part Number 110-0100-307 Rev A. The Rev B one weighs nearly 1 ounce more than the Rev A. Not sure if this is good or bad, but clearly some components are different between the two.
#9981 by southsound
Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am
It could just be more lines of code in the "B" version. If we assume that 0's have no mass, then the extra ounce could be the weight of the additional 1's. I used to have a formula that would tell me the conversion rates from data to ounces, but seem to have misplaced it.

On a lighter note, the young pups that write software have it so easy now. Now every program is written using a combination of 0's and 1's. When I first started writing code, we had to use all 0's. It wasn't until the mid 70's that the 1's became popular. I'm quite sure that when we "wired" our programs we looked forward to the day when punch cards would be available to the masses. Then, before we knew it, we had phones from ATT that used neat little plastic cards to dial numbers automatically. And an answering machine cost just under $1000.

Ahhh. The good old days. :)