Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93472 by Senator
Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm
I am experiencing problems with the Ooma:
• preventing access to my home network from the internet
• preventing me from being able to view content on other websites

My configuration is as follows: Internet > Ooma > Router > PC. I did this because I was unable (with Ooma’s technical support) to properly configure my router’s QoS. The result was very poor call quality. The only way to insure acceptable call quality was to configure the equipment as I described. However, now I have a new set of issues!

Here is the Home Network Settings page in my Ooma Telo. http://www.screencast.com/t/rQELZBpC

I’d appreciate any suggestions.
#93473 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Senator wrote:I am experiencing problems with the Ooma:
• preventing access to my home network from the internet
• preventing me from being able to view content on other websites

My configuration is as follows: Internet > Ooma > Router > PC. I did this because I was unable (with Ooma’s technical support) to properly configure my router’s QoS. The result was very poor call quality. The only way to insure acceptable call quality was to configure the equipment as I described. However, now I have a new set of issues!

Here is the Home Network Settings page in my Ooma Telo. http://www.screencast.com/t/rQELZBpC

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

I looked at your Home Network Setting page. It just shows that the DHCP configuration is set to issue only one IP address to anything connected to the Ooma Telo Home port.

What is the Name and Model number of your Router?

For your probem I would try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma again. With this connection configuration nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo home port, except to temporarily access Ooma Setup to make adjustments. A network cable is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port and the wired LAN port of the computer.

Ooma recommends that Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings, both, be set to zero. If you have Quality of Service problems with the zero settings, try setting both the Ooma Setup Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds to about 1000 kbps higher then the measured Upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest .

I would also do the following:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

If you continue to have problems:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#93488 by EX Bell
Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 pm
If you couldn't get QoS configured, then this is a good router and it's only $20 for a used one. I own one running DD-WRT firmware, and there's one at my office with stock Cisco firmware. The Cisco firmware is easy to configure, stable and performs well.

This is an even better router because it has separate antennas for dual band. So you can run wireless G together with wireless N and it won't slow down the N clients.

Here is post I just wrote that relates to your experience. The Telo can route traffic, but it's limited.

Some additional thoughts of mine on the subject of routers and the Telo.
#93586 by Senator
Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:10 am
Wow! I can’t thank you guys enough. Your technical knowledge is very impressive and goes way beyond anyone I’ve been able to speak with at Ooma.

While I believe all the suggestions are workable, the last post by “Ex Bell” appears to be most relevant to my situation and I can relate to most of what was said in his last post. Here is more detail on my specific situation:

ISP is Time-Warner; consistently 20MB down / 1.5Mb up
Motorola SB510N cable modem
Linksys WRT160Nv-2; Firmware Version: v2.0.02

For many of the reasons mentioned by Ex Bell, I’d prefer to have the Ooma after the router. This was my initial configuration, but call quality was bad, getting worse and no one at Ooma had a clue. Mostly non-technical people reading knowledge base scripts.

Ex Bell, if I might impose upon you further, it appears we are using very similar Linksys routers. I was not able to completely follow your recommendations in your post titled “loss of internet downstream of Ooma Hub”. Because our Ooma & router user interfaces are probably very similar, could you create a few applicable screen shots to support the settings you recommend?
#93598 by EX Bell
Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 pm
Not a problem. I'm actually working on this to post here for anyone with a Linksys router who needs a little help with configuring it. I'll try to get something posted soon. The Linksys configuration isn't hard to post. Gathering the links to the valuable info from senior users is important and that will take some time.
#93711 by EX Bell
Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 am
Senator,

Here's a link to a PDF on Cisco Linksys setup for Ooma

Your router doesn't have one of the best chipsets. Alternate firmware seems to have been abandoned by the DD-WRT team acording to the posts. If this doesn't work, there are other models and version that use a Broadcom chipset and they perform better and seem to be favored by the developers. They are really inexpensive, like between $20-40 with free shipping. Lots of good info on the DD-WRT pages and forums, so have a look around. This is a good resource I use then looking at a potential router to buy or recommend. I steer away from Ralink chipsets (the one your router uses) and go for Broadcom or Atheros, but I also look to see what the developers wrote in the Wiki (every modem model they list has one).

I can't stress enough how important the quality of your internet connection is in direct correlation to your voice quality on Ooma. If you have not done so, run the test on Phonepower. Test first with an ethernet cable between your computer and your modem only first. Then after configuring your router, add it in and test from your router to your computer. If still OK, test on the exact connection that you will be using from your router to the Ooma Telo. Last, with the Telo connected to the router, plug an ethernet cable into the Telo Home Port and run the test again. This should have eliminated every possible issue if all the tests give a good result. The last test doesn't mean as much as the others, but it shouldn't be significantly worse, and you should see your upload speed just a few kb below the value you entered in the QoS setting of the router.

Here's a post with some advice from a senior user on what the numbers mean and should be. I'm sure they would expand further if needed and will comment on your specific stats if you post them here. Be sure to post all the values measure from the Phonepower results.
#93718 by Senator
Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm
Thanks for all the great info.

I have just left for a three week trip, but will get right to it as soon as I return.

Cheers