Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93422 by Senator
Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:44 pm
I use the Google Voice extensions. When I set up my Ooma account (over 3 months ago) I entered my name in the boxes designated for Caller Name Delivery within the GVE section. However, the people and business I call, tell me the caller name being delivered is “Unknown”. This is problematic because many individuals and businesses either don’t answer when the caller name is “Unknown” or they block the number, which is showing up. I’ve brought this to the attention of Ooma support on no less than four occasions. In the beginning they asked me repeatedly to “give it 2-3 weeks”. One person at HQ in Palo Alto even said “we don’t support caller name delivery”. At that point I gave up trying.
#93424 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:15 pm
Ooma can not do anything about this. Google does not provision CNAM for their numbers (no CNAM associated with Google numbers unless previously provisioned somewhere else by some other company). Therefore, no name will show when you call folks; much like when you call someone with a Verizon cell. AT&T and perhaps 1 more wireless carrier does CNAM provisioning for customers. Much like if you port your cell number from AT&T to Verizon, you'd still have outgoing CNAM showing your name, you'd have to get your GV number's CNAM provisioned somewhere else (by porting into AT&T for a while for example) and then port back to Google Voice.

Here is some write up about outgoing callerid: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/outboun ... am-display
Calling provider only presents number (Ooma presents your GV number on outgoing calls when you use GVE), receiving provider looks up Callerid name via the number presented (Google does not provision callerid name so nothing gets returned).

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r263255 ... -Caller-ID
#93430 by Senator
Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 pm
Thanks for your reply. However, I’m still confused. 1) Why does Ooma ask for the caller name in their GVE set-up if they can’t list it in the CNAM data base? 2) My other line, where I see my Ooma caller ID info, is AT&T, who you would think has access to any and all CNAM data bases. 3) Why did Ooma tell me repeatedly that I should “just give it 2-3 weeks”?
#93433 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 am
Senator wrote:Why does Ooma ask for the caller name in their GVE set-up if they can’t list it in the CNAM data base?

The name you specified during setup is for your Ooma's 2nd number's CNAM (virtual number used by Ooma GVE). If Ooma provisioned your CNAM right, you could look up what it is here: http://tnid.us just search for your Ooma's 2nd number. If you check your Google Voice number there, you won't find a name associated with it.

Senator wrote:My other line, where I see my Ooma caller ID info, is AT&T, who you would think has access to any and all CNAM data bases.

AT&T just looks up CNAM info when receiving calls. They can only provision numbers they service. Likewise, Ooma provisions CNAM for Ooma numbers (since Google services your Google number, Ooma can't provision your Google Voice number for you).

Senator wrote:Why did Ooma tell me repeatedly that I should “just give it 2-3 weeks”?

Whom ever you talked to probably was thinking of your Ooma numbers and not Google Voice number.
#93439 by Senator
Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:31 am
When I used tnid.us to look up my Google Voice number, it said "the current telephone company was Bandwidth.com". When I look up my Ooma virtual number it said "A database error has occurred while processing your request. This is most commonly caused by attempting to access records for an invalid number, or by trying to access records that have been deleted from the database."

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You obviously have a great deal of expertise in this area. I only wish there was a workable solution to my "Unknown" problem.
#93444 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:39 pm
If tnid.us gives you an error on a number, that means you are looking up some new number ranges (not sure if new but tnid has issues with some numbers) that tnid doesn't know about.

Likely this place doesn't have any info on your number either (other than maybe the state the number belongs to): http://ciddb.com/ (I find info on this site to be less accurate; outdated)

The only way to get callerid name to your Google Voice number, I believe, is to port it over to AT&T cell phone for a while (until your callerid name is provisioned) and then port back to Google Voice.
#93448 by Senator
Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm
In fact, I did migrate my number from AT&T land line to an AT&T prepaid phone and then to Google Voice account, then to Ooma. As you may know, you can't port a land line number to GV, only wireless numbers.