Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93405 by Lilly's_Closet
Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:45 am
Greetings,

I am looking for recommendations on Burglar Alarm monitor companies and individual experiences. Currently my alarm system is being monitored by ADT and dials out successfully through ooma (see my previous posts for help setting alarms with ADT concord systems and CID versus SIA transmissions.

Now my contract with ADT is up and I am looking for other solutions. As I mentioned my alarm can dial out to ADT without issue so I would be open to companies that can accept a phone line as well as companies that accept a phone line and have a broadband adapter.

What are your thoughts…I trolled around the forum and I for some references to nextalarm.com. Anyone with any experience with them or others
#93409 by Cyberchat
Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 am
Lilly's_Closet wrote:Greetings,

I am looking for recommendations on Burglar Alarm monitor companies and individual experiences. Currently my alarm system is being monitored by ADT and dials out successfully through ooma (see my previous posts for help setting alarms with ADT concord systems and CID versus SIA transmissions.

Now my contract with ADT is up and I am looking for other solutions. As I mentioned my alarm can dial out to ADT without issue so I would be open to companies that can accept a phone line as well as companies that accept a phone line and have a broadband adapter.

What are your thoughts…I trolled around the forum and I for some references to nextalarm.com. Anyone with any experience with them or others

Lilly's_Closet,

For an understanding of your home wiring and how to safely connect VOIP to it, including a discussion on alarm systems, check out the following topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13354
#93410 by Lilly's_Closet
Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 am
Cyberchat wrote:
Lilly's_Closet wrote:Greetings,

Lilly's_Closet,

For an understanding of your home wiring and how to safely connect VOIP to it, including a discussion on alarm systems, check out the following topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13354

Thanks for your response but it doesn’t address my question. I've written several articles on how to wire and setup the home writing with alarms systems. In additon, rewired my Punch down Block to work with ooma about 4 years ago and it’s been running strong ever since.

I have not had any issues with my alarm or the wiring I am looking for an new monitoring company.
#93411 by Cyberchat
Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 am
Lilly's_Closet wrote:
Cyberchat wrote:
Lilly's_Closet wrote:
Thanks for your response but it doesn’t address my question. I've written several articles on how to wire and setup the home writing with alarms systems. In additon, rewired my Punch down Block to work with ooma about 4 years ago and it’s been running strong ever since.

I have not had any issues with my alarm or the wiring I am looking for an new monitoring company.

What I was referring to was the links within the Alarm Discussion section of the document which discusses the pro's and con's of various alarm systems and how well they work with VOIP systems. One example follows:

"NextAlarm's VoIP-capable Alarm System"

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating ... system.asp
#93412 by rmeden
Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:46 am
At my last house, I used http://info.nextalarm.com/ and was very happy with their service. No contract, fair rate and they'll help you reprogram your alarm. Hopefully ADT will give you the programming code (or didn't change the default)

I've since found a local company that charges just a little more and can show up to help with programming / testing. If I didn't have them I would certainly go back to Next Alarm.

I would never use ADT... too many red flags (high pressure sales, scare tactics, high prices, etc).

My city also does monitoring now, but they charge the same prices as ADT!

Robert
#93416 by Lilly's_Closet
Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:31 am
Cyberchat sorry I only skimmed the second link. I will take a look.

Thanks rmeden for your feedback. Yeah, initially I had to troubleshoot the alarm and so now I'm pretty good at programing it …so as long as I haven’t lost the installers code I should be good to go.

My contract ended a few days ago and I just realized that I am not being monitored so now there is a mad rush to decide on a company but it’s been about 3 years since I even thought about the alarm. That’s not a bad problem to have because it means that everything has been working but now I am back to square one with regards to my research on the monitoring companies.
Last edited by Lilly's_Closet on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
#93425 by rmeden
Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm
Lilly's_Closet wrote:My contract ended a few days ago and I just realized that I am not being monitored so now there is a mad rush to decide on a company but it’s been about 3 years since I even thought about the alarm.

In that case it should be said... Kudos to ADT for not auto-renewing you to a 1YR term. Still, it would have been better for all parities to have put you on a month-month plan.

Most of the online companies should have you going in a few hours if not minutes. So you just have to decide. If there's no term, no reason not to give anyone a shot.

Robert
#105972 by tbates57
Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:56 pm
I've been using Safemart.com for the past couple of years and have been completely satisfied with price, response and service. (I particurarly like their providing on-line opening and closing reports - very revealing about the cat-sitter we formerly employed.)

BTW - Thanks to Lilly's_Closet for really essential info (an old posting on another site) on getting the Ooma to work with a Concord Express alarm system.

Wellll - I just noticed that I misread the date of this thread. Sorry!