Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93261 by sean83
Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm
I am thinking about taking Ooma out of country. I think I can simply hook it up to a modem/router, and call U.S. or recive calls from U.S. just like if I am in U.S. Has anyone done this? How is the call quality compared to using it in U.S.? Has anyone taken it to a country that has 220V as standard, and has a recommendation for power supply problem? Thanks.
#93264 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 pm
sean83 wrote:I am thinking about taking Ooma out of country. I think I can simply hook it up to a modem/router, and call U.S. or recive calls from U.S. just like if I am in U.S. Has anyone done this? How is the call quality compared to using it in U.S.? Has anyone taken it to a country that has 220V as standard, and has a recommendation for power supply problem? Thanks.

Last year we took our Ooma Telo, our laptop computer, and a small corded phone along to China. Connecting to a DSL PPPoE connection in Ooma Setup didn't work, but I believe that problem has since been fixed by Ooma. There is a work around that can be used if you run into that same problem. If you have problems when traveling, post those problems in this forum and some one will help you.

We stayed in hotels that had Internet speeds that were too slow to support Ooma, but at most locations there were no problems, and the phone conversation quality was very good.

While in China, we would get calls in the middle of the night (day time in the USA), so we used the "Do Not Disturb" feature.

Don't dial 911 into an Ooma phone when traveling, since the fire department, police and who ever will end up at your home, or at the address that you entered in My Ooma, while you may be half way around the world.