Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92907 by turnando
Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 am
There are no markings on the ethernet cable that I received in the box with my Ooma Telo.

It is a 7' flat ethernet cable (black). Is it CAT6 or something else? Does CAT6 even come in a flat cable?

Thanks!
#92909 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 am
turnando wrote:There are no markings on the ethernet cable that I received in the box with my Ooma Telo.

It is a 7' flat ethernet cable (black). Is it CAT6 or something else? Does CAT6 even come in a flat cable?

Thanks!

The flat network cable is either CAT5 or CAT6. The phone cable can be CAT3. The other thing to be careful of, is not to confuse the phone cable with the network cable. The phone cable will fit in the network cable ports loosely, but won't work.
#92911 by turnando
Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:13 am
Thanks, I'm just trying to stick with CAT6 wherever I have a hardwired connection in my house. I'm using the Ooma wireless adapter on my phone now (works fine). I was going to reuse the cable to hardwire my Tivo to my router but if I'm not sure it is CAT6 then I'll go buy a CAT6.

Thanks for the quick reply!
#92981 by jcanavera
Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:04 pm
Your Ooma device supports 10/100 service so a cat 5 cable is really all that's required. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router which has 1 gig ports. To take full advantage of a 1 gig port, you need a cat 6a cable. In my case there really isn't any advantage in connecting a 6a cable between my Telo and Apple router since the Telo's interface port is slower than the Airport Extreme.

In most cases generic cat 6 cable is technically the same at cat 5e as far as throughput goes. If 5e or cat 6 wire is tied to a gigabit port, you can push data up to about 300 meg or so. Keep in mind that your Internet circuit is most likely pushing well below the 100 megabit speed range so I wouldn't overspend on cables unless you are running wire behind the walls that will be permanent in nature and you plan to stay around. Note that to get 1 gig speeds assuming you have hardware that is capable of supporting this, you need to make sure that all components within your wiring infrastructure are rated 6a (this includes wall jacks).