Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92573 by KMC
Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:09 pm
I have noticed a couple of times that my "in use" light is on for my phone. When I pick up the phone I hear what sounds like a fax machine. We do not have a fax machine. I have also had 2 separate people call me saying that they received a call from my number (which is an assigned Ooma number) both people said they were calling back to see who it was who called them. We do not know these people and we never called them so I am guessing Ooma is making random calls for me?
Can someone please help.
#92576 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:10 pm
KMC wrote:I have noticed a couple of times that my "in use" light is on for my phone. When I pick up the phone I hear what sounds like a fax machine. We do not have a fax machine. I have also had 2 separate people call me saying that they received a call from my number (which is an assigned Ooma number) both people said they were calling back to see who it was who called them. We do not know these people and we never called them so I am guessing Ooma is making random calls for me?
Can someone please help.

Some cell phones have been known to make outbound random calls, but I've never heard of Ooma making random calls. Do you have a cell phone connected through Bluetooth. Also you could disconnect from Ooma, the phones that you are using now and try another completely different phone for a while, to see if that's the cause.

Probably best to contact Ooma Customer Support with this problem, just in case that somehow you and someone else are using the same phone number. Be prepared to supply dates, time and phone numbers of where the random calls went to, if you can.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#92578 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:39 pm
KMC wrote:I have noticed a couple of times that my "in use" light is on for my phone. When I pick up the phone I hear what sounds like a fax machine. We do not have a fax machine. I have also had 2 separate people call me saying that they received a call from my number (which is an assigned Ooma number) both people said they were calling back to see who it was who called them. We do not know these people and we never called them so I am guessing Ooma is making random calls for me?
Can someone please help.

Do you have a Dishnetwork receiver or something similar?
#92617 by KMC
Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:51 pm
Hello,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, IBMOFO you were right on the money. I looked at the phone log and found that there were 2 phone numbers which when I searched on line showed that they belonged to Direct TV. My Direct TV receivers were tying to call 800-531-5602 and 866-709-2073. I called Direct TV and they said that the receivers can not call in through VoIP. So there are my phantom calls.

BTW - I have been on Ooma for a week and love it.

Thanks
#92622 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm
KMC wrote:Hello,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, IBMOFO you were right on the money. I looked at the phone log and found that there were 2 phone numbers which when I searched on line showed that they belonged to Direct TV. My Direct TV receivers were tying to call 800-531-5602 and 866-709-2073. I called Direct TV and they said that the receivers can not call in through VoIP. So there are my phantom calls.

BTW - I have been on Ooma for a week and love it.

Thanks

Most Direct TV receivers can access the numbers listed if a *99 is added in the phone setup section. If you have an Ooma Telo *98 will also work.
#92630 by KMC
Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 pm
Direct TV says that since I have the High Def box hooked up to my home network (for on demand) that I do not even need the phone lines hooked up. Solves that problem.

thanks again for your response.

KMC