Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92554 by callofjj
Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 am
Hi, I have been tring to send fax with my HP fax 640. It fails 8 out of 10 times. I don't know how to change the baud rate on this model. It is currently 14.4, I want it to be 9.6. The ECM is disabled.
Anyone has this model and knows how to change the baud rate?
#92555 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:18 am
callofjj wrote:Hi, I have been tring to send fax with my HP fax 640. It fails 8 out of 10 times. I don't know how to change the baud rate on this model. It is currently 14.4, I want it to be 9.6. The ECM is disabled.
Anyone has this model and knows how to change the baud rate?

I looked though out the manual and I think that this Fax machine auto-negotiates the baud rate.

Ooma says for Faxing, to use *99 before the number that you are dialing?

If you have an Ooma Telo, try using *98, instead, before the number that you are dialing. Several people have reported greater success when using *98. Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
#92556 by EX Bell
Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:19 am
Don't know if you've had a chance to search and read all the posts here regarding faxing. In short, sending is successful with some people and some machines, but receiving is unreliable. Use the search box and type "faxing" without the quotes. There's lot of info here, but in general there are no guarantees faxing over VOIP will work reliably or at all. If it's a critical function for you, a dedicated line from your local phone company might be the best solution. Cutting them out of your life isn't always possible.

You've disabled ECM and that's good. Have you tried *98 prefix before dialing the number you want to fax to?
See my post here for some background of how I resolved sending from my machine. I would try this before anything else. Note that I cannot receive, but for me this not important at all. I only need to be able to send the occasional fax (between 1-2 per year). If you're able to send, but can't receive and it's important to have that functionality, consider a fax to email service. You can get a fax to email number for around $5 a month.