Funky outgoing Caller ID

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
vaughnsimon

Funky outgoing Caller ID

Post by vaughnsimon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:24 pm

I've had my Ooma service for about a month now, and still have bad outgoing caller ID. Locally, it gives the number with the text "Out of Area". When I call my daughter in California, she sees "Private Name, Private Number".

Frankly, that makes Ooma usless to me. I don't answer incoming calls with funky caller ID, and I imagine many others do the same.

What can I do to get this fixed? Otherwise, it's a deal-killer.
"

lbmofo

Re: Funky outgoing Caller ID

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:57 pm

You can call into Ooma customer service to confirm that they have provisioned your outgoing callerid. Then, wait for it to take effect. Here is some info: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/outbou ... am-display

For CNAM lookup, this site is pretty good: http://tnid.us
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

davidm

Post by davidm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 pm

I get strange caller id as well. Locally it is usually fine but sometimes when I call a relative out of state they get random names and numbers. It never seems like it's the same thing based on what she tells me although sometimes it does work and show my name and number.

Ringfinger

Post by Ringfinger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:19 pm

I just set my unit up last night. Checked the CNAM database and it does not show my name. Called my home phone just now and it shows Pivate Name and displays my number. Am I to assume this will take a few more days before my name shows up? I cuurently have VZ at home until I port. I would assume they update their CNAM data quite reguarly?

Thoughts?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:29 pm

It can take up to 10 business days. There are many CNAM databases in the country that have to be updated. Each one moves at it's own pace.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Ringfinger

Post by Ringfinger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 pm

murphy wrote:It can take up to 10 business days. There are many CNAM databases in the country that have to be updated. Each one moves at it's own pace.
I'm just being impatient! Thanks for the reply! ;-)

vaughnsimon

Post by vaughnsimon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Just a followup. OOMA finally fixed it. Thanks lbmofo for your informative reply. You put your finger directly on the problem, then told me what to ask for and who to ask. That's no small thing.

Now I can finally start using my OOMA line. We will try it for a couple months, then decide if we're ready to "pull the plug" on Ma Bell.

Ringfinger

Post by Ringfinger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Still does not show up in database for me. Has been two weeks. What gives?

vaughnsimon

Post by vaughnsimon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:12 am

Ringfinger. If your caller ID is still wrong, it's probably time for you to E-mail OMMA support. Ask them to check your caller-ID provisioning. I had a couple "back & forths" with them over a couple weeks until they finally fixed it.

Ringfinger

Post by Ringfinger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:34 am

Now 3 weeks. Anyway, it is only the number I picked when I set it up. Once I port, I will give this number up anyway so no biggie, however, still not in there.