Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92053 by nageldh11
Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:31 pm
I have been having a terrible time with "ghost calls" from telemarketers. These are calls that are made by them but they drop the call after a ring or two. When we would answer the call (after several rings) it was a dial tone as they had already hung up. I of course did go into my blacklist and add them but they would just use another number next time. Worked with Ooma support several times and short of changing my phone number we were not getting anywhere. So I tried to duplicate the problem by calling my home phone via my cell and hanging up after the first ring. My home phone kept ringing and when I answered it of course was a dial tone. Then I remembered I had installed a comswitch 5500 years ago (before Ooma) to detect incoming fax calls. I looked on the forum for 5500 issues and only found problems with retrieving voice mail? I removed the 5500 and now when I call from my cell to home and drop the call after one ring my home phone stops ringing as it should. Also now I get the status of who is calling. It seems that after the 5500 decides the incoming call is not a fax call it also holds the call up (rings) even though the incoming call has hung up. Thanks to a very nice lady named Cloud in Ooma support for a follow up call every 2 or 3 days. She was very dedicated.
Last edited by nageldh11 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#92081 by gtdurham
Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:26 pm
I too use the Comswitch 5500 because my wife needs to use the fax from time to time. I must be a lucky one because I haven't had any the problems mentioned above. We do have issues with not being able to reliably send faxes. If they're just a page or two, we don't have any problems, but is they're longer than that, it's been very hit an miss.