Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#91778 by bluetang
Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm
So my ooma *always* drops me at approximately 1AM (PST). It's an instant drop to a dial tone and I have to call whoever I was talking to back. Does this happen to anyone else?

PS-I know that most people aren't on the phone at 1am but often am so this is (and has been for a year now) an annoyance.
#91784 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 am
bluetang wrote:So my ooma *always* drops me at approximately 1AM (PST). It's an instant drop to a dial tone and I have to call whoever I was talking to back. Does this happen to anyone else?

PS-I know that most people aren't on the phone at 1am but often am so this is (and has been for a year now) an annoyance.

Some Internet providers have a momentary data disconnect early in the morning as part of their maintenance cycle. You could try contacting your Internet provider and see if this is the case, and see if you can get the disconnect problem corrected.

Another thing tha helps with dropped calls is:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#91787 by murphy
Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 am
bluetang wrote:So my ooma *always* drops me at approximately 1AM (PST). It's an instant drop to a dial tone and I have to call whoever I was talking to back. Does this happen to anyone else?

That sounds like a DHCP lease renewal where you get a different IP address thus breaking the phone call connections.
Is your Ooma in front of your router or behind your router.
#91806 by bluetang
Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:32 pm
Thanks! I'll try turning off MAC address spoofing and see what happens tonight...My Ooma is after my router (modem>router>ooma).
#91807 by murphy
Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:20 pm
bluetang wrote:Thanks! I'll try turning off MAC address spoofing and see what happens tonight...My Ooma is after my router (modem>router>ooma).

Also put a static reservation in your router (if it has that capability) based on the Ooma's Internet port MAC address so the Ooma always gets the same IP address.
#91808 by rmeden
Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 pm
If your ISP is forcing a new IP address, there's not much you can do.

Since you know exactly when it will occur, set up ping to confirm it's a network outage.

If you're using windows:
start -> run -> cmd.exe
ping -t yahoo.com

(You'll need to keep an eye on it for dropped packets or a change in the time, but the disruption should be pretty obvious)